out of control parent

One of the things as an adult leader that yeh just have to shrug off sometimes is parent behavior. It's not somethin' that you can control most of the time. So don't beat yourself up too much.

Beavah said this earlier in the thread, and I couldn't agree more. There are some parents out there that think little "Johnny" can do no wrong, it's the other kid's fault, my kid always gets picked on, etc. Sometimes, asking that parent to go on an outing can change their attitude, and the scout's as well.

I also agree with what has been said about "Parent2" and scout probably not wanting to be in scouts in the first place. They may have been looking for an out, and this is it. I definitely would reach out to Parent1 and see if they would like to come back. You never know until you ask...

Our troop had a similar incident to this one- however the two parents involved were the CC and the former SM who is now a ASM. Well, our SM happens to be married to the ASM and thus has sided with her. ASM was not the best SM and let alot of things occur that shouldn't have and CC was trying to fix her problems. CC is very respected and has done many good things for the troop. SM and ASM have made many bad judgements, and CC felt they both needed to go and wanted to vote to kick them out. Committee felt that all parties needed to be spoken to before being blindsided. CC is very upset and wants to resign. What as a committee can we do about all of this drama???

For starters, I'd think twice about allowing a SM and ASM to be from the same household... Same thing goes for having a husband-wife team as SM and CC. Familial conflicts of interest are always a no-win situation...

My wife is a DL. Not that I have the time, but I wouldn't think of trying to serve as a DL, ACM, or CM with the Pack. I'd have a hard time staying impartial as a committee member...

Likewise, she won't wear an ASM patch with the troop, although she has considered committee positions which wouldn't have too much overlap into what I do.