I found a spider in my house that was very scary but Im not sure what kind it was. It was at least 1 1/2 inches counting the legs and was brown and hairy ( looked just like a baby transula) But the thing I noticed most was on the underside of the spider there was a very large black dot that took up most of the body. I would like to find out what it is. Please help.

I suspect this is a "wolf spider". Go to Google. Near the top of the window select "Images" and then type into the search line, "wolf spider". You''ll get about a bazillion (technical term ;)) photos of these magnificent creatures. I suspect you''ll find your suspect in that lineup somewhere.

BTW, these are really nice animals. I never harm one unless by accident. It probably came into your home along with all kinds of other crawling things because things are cooling off in the fall. Just let it live under your refrigerator or something and it will dine on some of the other crawlers. If you get rid of it, the roaches will applaud. :)

to me it sounds like packsaddle wins the prize, though at 1 and 1/2 inches he sounds like he needs more grasshoppers and horse flys...underfed, don''t cha know...Would guess you have an average speciman of "Lycosa tarentula"...a wolf spider to most of us...BIG HARRY Tarantulas from the south west and South America are often kept as pets and are actually quite fragile...easily injured.

Spiders are cool, and beneficial... pick up a few books at the local library...Like snakes, most folks'' "fear" is totally unjustified...healthy respect, perhaps, but not fear...Spiders just want to eat bugs and procreate...like a lot of folks I know...;>)

Anarchist

I don''t particularly care for spiders either, but the big ones in North America are likely not a threat to humans. In fairness to spiders generally, one has to recognize the benefits they provide to humans by keeping the insect population down.

Here in the San Francisco bay area October is tarantula mating season in two large nearby state parks, Mt. Diablo and Henry Coe state parks respectively. There are even festivals of humans to celebrate the season. So far I have passed on those celebrations and intend to continue to do so.

The big hairy spider went up the water spout....