Here are some thoughts to ponder ... (yes some of these I used in another post that got me thinking of starting this one)

----

Some times we spend to much time dreaming of where we are going or what we want to become that we forget to live today and take it one step at a time to get there.

------

I recently was on a hike to top of a peak. The hike was challenging and rewarding in itself. I kept thinking as I worked my way up the trail about how gratifying it would be to be on top of the peak and enjoy the fruits of my labor. However, upon reaching the top of the peak all I could see was another peak. Now rather then feeling the full effects of my accomplishments all I felt was an urge to shot for that peak. Of course one day soon I will go after that peak, and I am sure have a repeat of finding another peak after that one. After all life is just endless peaks of possibilities.

-----

I once saw a family skiing, just having a good old time. They were not great skiers but having fun. Then the saw a man hop on his skis and just fly like a bird. Later they said the man that it was unfair that he could ski like that. You know what that man said? He looked them straight in the eyes and said "No it isn't. Do you know what I have been doing for the past two years while you have been sitting in your comfy living room watching tv? I have been learning everything there is to know about my sport. I have been reading everything I could. I have been talking to anyone who would talk to me. I have been on the hill testing my limits. I gave up a lot to be where I am today. What did you give up?"

-----

If you see someone sitting on top of a mountain remember no one dropped that person there, they worked, climbed and fought their way there themselves.

----

Do you know who a millionaire is - some one who has failed the first nine times.

----

the differences between the possible and the impossible is the measure of the mans will

---

Lastly from the famous Yoda "Do or do not there is no try" another good one is when Luke fails to lift his space craft out of the bog and Yoda does it and Luke says "I don't believe it" Yoda responds "That is why you failed"

----

What other kinds of thoughts do you have that are worth a good ponder??

I have tons more and one day I will type them up and share them. Of course most I get from movies, audio books, other people, sayings on shirts, etc...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centred. Love them anyway.

If you do good they'll accuse you of having a hidden agenda. Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.

What you have spent years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.

Give the world your best and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world your best anyway.

-- Abel Muzorewa

A human being should be able to heal a wound, plan an expedition, order from a French menu, climb a mountain face, enjoy a ballet, balance accounts, roll a kayak, embolden a friend, tell a joke, laugh at himself, cooperate, act alone, sing a children's song, solve equations, throw a dog a stick, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, love heartily, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -- Lew Hitchner

Ah, Grasshopper (Trevorum), you are not yet ready to proceed to the next level of enlightenment. Come back in a year and explain why there is no 'try', and also what is the sound of one hand clapping.

Wholeheartedly one must give oneself to an effort. Less than your best, 'trying' is. Preparing for failure, you are. Knowing that you may fail, a self-fulfilling prophecy you are making.

Appropriate for seven-year olds, perhaps the subtlety of this message is not.

insanescouter,

I like your thoughts for pondering. As an avid skier I particularly enjoyed the skiing scenario. It got me to pondering what it would be like in todays environment, and think it would go something like this:

I once saw a lad skiing, well, mostly just hanging out at the base lodge, and occasionally going out onto the slope where he slowly made his way down the slope, stopping here and there, appearing to collect something. Occasionally he bumped into others, but mostly he avoided them. He stepped into the woods whenever it looked like someone was looking for him.

I saw another lad about the same age also skiing. He skied with the confidence that comes from dedication and hard work over time. He would often stop and give impromptu pointers to younger skiers that were trying hard to improve their skiing. Once I even saw him stop to help a fallen skier, giving aid until the ski patrol arrived, and then staying to help as much as he could. While this was going on, I saw the first skier give a wide berth to avoid the situation, and obviously pretending not to notice.

Later, I saw both at what was obviously a ski club meeting. I stopped and watched as the club president made an announcement about the club's outstanding skier. He called up the first skier, and gave him a trophy. After the presentation, the second skier approached the first skier and asked him how he could possibly had been named the club's outstanding skier, since he rarely went on the club's trips, rarely skied when he did, avoided helping other club members, or anyone else for that matter. The first skier looked him strait in the eye and said "I stopped at all the checkpoints spread over the mountain, and collected the tokens. Sure, the club rules state that we are to be always willing and able to help others in need on the mountain, and that we have to spend time as an officer of the club, but actually doing those things takes time away from collecting the tokens. Experience has shown that those rules are meaningless anyway. When it comes right down to it, while they say that participating and helping are important, they really only care about collecting the tokens. So while you were occupied with improving your skiing skills and helping those other people out on the slopes, I spent my time collecting the tokens, and that is why I, and not you, received this award."

Something to ponder...

Venividi - love your post! That is why I hate these metrics somebody keeps formulating for us in the business world. Also, why to the confusion of many parents, I state that my goal as a Scoutmaster is not the "get Eagle" for their son, but to teach him leadership skills, character and citizenship. Yeah, I know I should substitute physical fitness for leadership skills if I want to match the aims but nobody is perfect!

You know the sad truth to it all Venividi is right ... that is how it would go ...

that does not mean if we really wanted to we can't change the the path... After all what occurs today is not a result of our choices today, they are a result of are choices yesterday, which means if we change our choices today, our tomorrow will change...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org