Introducing myself

Hello fellow Scouters!

I am so excited. i was invited to be an Assistant ScoutMaster (Troop 8, Blackhawk Area Council) recently and just discovered this website and forum. How great is THIS? I have been lurking around reading a LOT of the posts here, and must say I am happy that the spirit of scouting is in capable hands and alive and well.

I loved Scouting as a youth, and have always loved it. Things have changed a bit since I was there 10 years ago, (especially my ability to fit into my uniform!!!) but the core hasn't changed. Year after year I am a witness to how society has changed and how NEEDED the principles of scouting are, and how proud I am that those values are still taught and held high.

What a challenging time to be a leader. My Troop has some issues, and they are great kids, but with some proper organization and preparation. (you'd think that the leaders would "be prepared" the most, but that is not necessarily the case), I feel we can still help instill those important values as they become the men they will be.

Anyway - I am so happy this site is here and I am so happy to be associated with you all.

Thanks for the good examples and for being here.

Jerry

Jerry-

Welcome to the forum. You will find a world of experience represented here. I am often amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge that the members have. It is great that so many are willing to share their hard earned wisdom with us.

Best wishes as you begin this new chapter of your Scouting career.

Baden

Thanks guys. :) I am working with the 11 year olds mostly, which, I feel, is one of the more critical times in a boy's scouting experience. If I can help get them really enthused about what they are doing and what they can accomplish, they will have the better chance of scouting success as they enter their teens, where the pressure to drop out is more prevalent with each passing year. As more and more things take up their time, they will weigh scouting's benefits and measure it against other interests and values. If they have that enthusiasm from earlier, and have good leadership, the chances of staying in Scouting are a lot more certain.

This is my theory, I have no hard statistics or data to back that up, but only from my own observations through the years.

I have SO much to learn. It is a bit daunting, but I have a great SM, and it is reassuring to know that you all are here and sharing your advice and expertise.

:) thanks for the warm welcome. I have this bookmarked and visit it everyday.

Jerry