Sometimes Scouts do things are are not very smart, but they are young and are still learning things. We as adults however think we know everything sometimes, and all of a sudden we do something stupid in front of the boys. I call these incidents "lessons in stupidity". I wrote about a couple of mine at

http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html

Have you done anything stupid lately?

Steve B

Years ago I was teaching a knife and ax safety demonstration at a Webelos Day. Had about six sessions to teach. Long about session 3 I closed the pocket knife, which I had just sharpened three times, a little quickly and sliced my index finger. Of course one of the little Webelos said "Mister...you're bleeding!". A quick trip to the first aid tent, a big bandage, and it was on to the 3 final sessions with a "Do as I say, not as I do" lesson!

1971 - Explorer in a Post sponsored by a VFD/Rescue Squad, specializing in fire, rescue, first aid, etc. We were asked by our high school PE teachers to give a demonstration, using our moulage kit (rubber wounds). So our Advisor takes the day off, and brings our 1959 Cadillac ambulance. The demos are going well, until I (15 years old) try to lower the stokes stretcher with the "patient" still lying on it. I (a Red Cross Advanced First Aid Instructor) reach in and release the lever and the stretcher drops to the ground, the mechanism slicing my hand open in the process. Dripping with blood, the students get a real live demo of "direct pressure" and off we go in the ambulance with red lights and everything. It was great, and at 53, I still have the scar!

Yep, Scoutmasters do the darnest things!

On a campout several years ago, I was reviewing the rules of safe hiking with the new guy patrol. They were pretty sharp and picked up on the whole notion pretty quickly, so we set out on an impromptu hike. Of course we notified the SPL where we were going and when we'd be back and we took plenty of water, and a map, and several compasses, and a first aid kit, and we all wore hats, good socks and good boots. But did I remind anyone to take a poncho? Did I think to take a poncho myself?? Well - you already know the rest of the story... We were a sorry bunch of bedraggled puppies when we squished back into camp several hours later. The older guys hooted to see us straggle in and they didn't let me forget about it for a long time!