how far to do we let boy-led go?

Well, here's the decision made by the boys - we're going on the spelunking trip and miss the camporee. All came to a unanimous decision on that one. I think they were afraid that if we rescheduled the cave trip to May that something else may come up and we'd never do the trip at all. Tough decision, but theirs. The did ask since the Camporee is planned as a shooteree if we could just go as a Troop to do some shotgun shooting as a day trip later on in the year. Of course we can do that. Haven't done that for a while so it'll be put on the calendar soon.

Regarding concerns about the cave trip only being open to 14 year olds. G2SS does say that:

"All caving, other than simple novice activities, should be limited to adults and young people 14 and oldermembers of Venturing crews and older Scouts in troops, and teams. "Simple novice activities" means commercially operated cave excursions and easy caves."

I did of course check this out before plans got made for the trip. As we are going to commercial outfitters, this is not going to be a problem taking our 12-13 year old Scouts. It's a good thing too because we only have two Scouts 14 or over right now!

Note to ASM: I am not going on the spelunking trip, but we have our 2 ASMs going and at least one other adult. The long drive alone would aggravate my condition, so sadly I must stay behind. I really hate that because as a younger person, I went "real" cave diving in the mountains of Pennsylvania looking for fossils and cool stuff like that.

One thing I'm considering. Since the camporee is now planned as a shooteree, thus meaning the Cubs/Webelos can't come (our Spring camporee has always been planned to include both Boys and Cubs), one of our Cubmasters is trying to put together a Cuboree for that weekend. Maybe I could help out with that.

>>I did of course check this out before plans got made for the trip. As we are going to commercial outfitters, this is not going to be a problem taking our 12-13 year old Scouts. It's a good thing too because we only have two Scouts 14 or over right now!

Later this year we'ra thinking about a rafting trip th the Yough. in southwester Pa. In discussions with the SM, I let him know that I refuse to take anyone under 14. They're usually to small in stature to be able to really paddle effectively if things get HAIRY.

Two years ago, there was a trip where two of us ( experienced around the water) allowed ourselves to be put into a situation that

we shouldn't have and almost became deaths 23 and 24 at that particular rapid., both pinned under water ander rocks. Cool heads, our own, prevailed by not panicking. It took 45 and 90 sec. to extricate and get to the surface. We had an unexpierenced adult that wouldn't listen and thought every thing was a game and fun, just like young scouts. Luckily the worst injury was a torn Quad.

For the planned trip, the younger scouts can canoe the Middle Yough. with proper supervision while the older scouts raft the Lower Yough. We 'll have to make sure we have plenty of adults for the trip to work, but usually this outing pulls a large crowd.

Went to District Commissioners meeting a few nights ago in the hopes of meeting our Troop's new Unit Commissioner. Sadly he was not there. But, while I was there the District Camporee was discussed. Turns out we are not the only troop not attending. Two others had conflicting schedules and their boys also decided not to change their plans. Our DE was pretty upset by this. District Committee is now asking Troops in other Districts to the camporee in hopes of having enough there to make it worthwhile. Another problem was brought up that the Saturday night of the camporee is also one of our High School's prom night.

We currently do not have an activities chair for our District, so I feel badly for the DE trying to pull this off at the last minute and having so many problems. But, maybe it would just have been better to forgo having a Spring Camporee this year.

Yeah I wouldn't be feeling too sorry for the DE right now. In the other thread you mention that there is a new troop starting up that is going to make your own troop's continued existence more difficult. Guess who makes these choices about starting new units...that's right, your DE. And he's upset that an event he planned last minute (instead of doing the hard job of recruiting and training an activities chair who could have done this months ago as would have been appropriate) isn't working out well, thus making HIM look bad. Tough. Time to talk turkey with him. Districts exist to support units, not the other way around. What has he done for you lately?

Ditto what Lisa said. Sounds to me like the SE got wind of the fact that there was no Camporee planned and rearranged the DE's priorities for him at the last minute. Maybe a not so subtle way of convincing him to get those District positions filled, so he doesnt' have to do it himself. This is not the unit's problem...

Wow. It doesn't take long for that "them vs. us" divide to show up. Lot's of assumptions being made here.

As Membership V-C, if I have a Pack in my district that isn't affiliated with a Troop, then they are a prime candidate for starting a new Troop. GWD stated they had recruited at the private school, but without much success. As Membership V-C, I would see a group of boys who are not in a Troop, but have real potential to form a solid unit.

Also, don't forget that districts that want to earn Quality District need to start a new unit. It could be the district Membership V-C that is working to establish this new unit - it should be him/her. Regardless, the Membership V-C and the DE would both just be doing their jobs in trying to start this new unit.

What is the alternative? The boys aren't joining GWD's Troop, so just leave them alone? Don't try to find another way to get them in to Scouting?

Hightower Trail has a Spring Camporee, in April. I can't imagine our DE or DD trying to pull a camporee off by themselves.

The district IS the units. If you feel that your unit is on the outside of the district, looking in, then your unit probably doesn't have any Scouters serving in distict leadership positions. Get involved. There should be plenty of sub-committees, if you are limited for time.

BTW, it isn't the DE's job to recruit and train the District Activities Chair - it is the responsibility of the District Committee Chair. He is responsible for building the District Committee, filling any vacancies. The DE is very interested in having those positions filled, as it will make his job easier.

As gwd mentioned, no one would step up and plan the camporee. This is a failure of the volunteers, not the DE. Sounds to me like the DE is going above and beyond the call of duty to make up for the volunteers who aren't making things happen. Instead of giving him a hard time, I would be thanking my lucky stars that I had such a dedicated professional.