I is my understanding that TLT is based on the premis that SM has taken Woodbadge for the 21st. Century. It is supposed to dove tail NYLT which is supposed to follow the "new" woodbadge course in approach so that the WB trained SM will have the knowledge to work with his NYLT trained SPL. The weakness of the TLT course is why I'm looking for support materials. The old video with Richard Attenborough and John Wayne is pretty out dated but it's better than the TLT course for a new or newer SM. (just my opinion)

LongHaul

I agree completely with emb021 and LongHaul on this one! TLT assumes way too much on the part of the SM or whoever is delivering the program. The assumption that an adult has been through the new Woodbadge course is a bit too presumptuous, IMO.

The old JLT course was dated, but at least you could put together a decent course by selecting items from a menu of choices. The new TLT forces you to basically develop your own program from the ground up. That is bound to give rise to inconsistent quality of TLT. And for those of us who already work two jobs in addition to our hour a week, it's tough to find time to develop a TLT program.

My son took NYLT two years ago as part of participation as a Lead Scout or CIT at summer camp. Our council provides it to all CITs as part of the CIT program. This is one of those programs where you get to pay the council for the privilidge of having them train you to work for them the following summer. So far it's been one of the best investments I've ever made for my son. He returned from the experience totally fired up about scouting. Ran and served as SPL the following year, signed on as paid camp staff the following summer and will work as staff again this summer.

If the NYLT program is run well, it is well worth the investment for a parent, scout or unit to participate.

SA

"TLT assumes way too much on the part of the SM or whoever is delivering the program. The assumption that an adult has been through the new Woodbadge course is a bit too presumptuous, IMO."

Too true. I get a little annoyed with some BSA training materials where there is little supplemental information to help the presenter in presenting the info (stuff like resources, help to full prepare for and deliver the materials).

And think that a scouter who has gone thru WB is prepared is a poor idea. While a WB graduate may have gained knowledge, is he/she now in a possition to turn around and train others in that information.

For instance, in going over the TLT stuff (a few months back) on item that caught my idea was that the trainer was supposed to train the scouts on 'servant leadership'. But then failed to explain/expand on it. Now, unless they added some stuff to WB since I staffed it in 2004, we don't cover servant leadership in WB. The OA tossed the term around, but fails to define it or cite sources or the like. So how is a scoutmaster to properly explain this (IMO) very important concept without some help? My Fraternity covers servant leadership in our leadership development program. But we spent time defining it and citing our sources, and we trainers are expected to read some of the key works in this area to better understand it ourselved (else, how can we explain it?)