I have read everything you have all said. I agree with some and disagree with others. I decided to add my 2 cents.

1) Whatever a Webelo has done for his advancement cannot be used for adv. in scouting. The only exception is he can use the req. he earned for AOL to get his Scout badge. That is if the scoutmaster wants to do this. He still needs a review from the scoutmaster and do the parent booklet in the front of his scout handbook. He has to do the physical fitness req all over again.

2)In the past scoutmasters, most of the ones I know, gave a Webelo who earned the AOL credit for part of the Tenderfoot rank. The Webelo could not get his Tenderfoot badge by getting the AOL. This was not allowed by national adv. policy. This i know for a fact.

3)The Scout badge when it was introduced in the mid 80's changed a great deal of the program. It became the first rank you earned. Like the Bobcat badge, which must be earned before a new Cub could earn any advancement, a new Scout has to earn the Scout badge before he can earn any other rank. The Scout badge is called the joining badge for a very simple reason, it contains all of the joining req. that use to be part of the Tenderfoot rank

4) I am in the Scouting program long enough to remember when you had to be a First Class Scout to work on merit badges. I do not remember working on merit badges at summercamp. They might have allowed someone under the rank of FC to do this but I was not allowed, my father was the scoutmaster. (I do remember that the summercamps were not merit badge factories).This all changed in the late 60's when the FC rank was change. They made earning the first aid merit badge a req to earn the FC rank.

5) As for the skill awards,that someone alluded to, they started in 1972 as part of the new inner-city program. you had to do certain req for each skill award and certain skill awards for each rank. Most of the Tenderfoot through First class req. that are done today came from the skill awards.

As a foot note;

By the way I failed my Tenderfoot Board of review twice before I passed and never got past first class. That was between 1955 and 1959. I still think that most Scouts today cannot do what we had to do back in the 50,s and 60's

Derf56

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to thinking about this. It's kinda like asking a teacher to accept a book report THIS YEAR when he did it and got an acceptable grade LAST YEAR. (See teacher, I did this report and got an A last year, can I have an A again this year?)

Sorry, the scout must do them as a webelos, then again as a candidate for tenderfoot.

I agree with what others have posted that a boy starts working on Boy Scout requirements after he has joined a Troop.

Earning Merit Badges for Tenderfoot,2nd Class and 1st Class was a requirement that began in June 1972 with the introduction of the Eighth Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook.

Tenderfoot earn any one merit badge, 2nd Class earn two more merit badges, 1st Class earn two more merit badges (this is a total of five of which two, Citizenship in the Community and First Aid are required). Other changes included the introduction of twelve skill awards and increasing the number of merit badges needed to be earned for Star 9, Life 15, and Eagle 24.

The introduction of the Ninth Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook in Feb 1979 removed earning merit badges for Tenderfoot,2nd Class. First Aid merit badge was required for 1st Class. The amount of merit badges earned for Star,Life and Eagle was decreased. Star a total of 6, Life a total of 11 and Eagle a total of 21.

The rank of Boy Scout was added:

1. Complete fifth grade and be atleast 10 1/2years old or be 11 years old or older, but not 18 years old.

2. Understand and intend to live by the Scout Oath or Promise, Scout Law, Scout motto,and Scout slogan.

3. Know the Scout sign, Scout salute and handclasp and when to use them.

4. Understand the significance of the scout badge.

5. Take part in a personal growth agreement conference.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonzo1,

I had forgotten about his thread. Yes you are correct I found my copy of the 8th edition also. Brought back memories of trying to work with the junior leaders working with new scouts using a book that had pictures but very few words describing skills. Look up fire building and fire by friction.

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)