Parade death stuns Scouts, school

How very tragic and how very sad.

My heart goes out to the Lad's family, friends, fellow Scouts and that entire community.

A few weeks back our community suffered the loss of a great kid. I was deeply touched last night when the chorus at the Christmas Concert dedicated the concert to him.

I'm not willing to discuss the bold print and the fine print.

I have now adopted a new rule in our house, that no matter when OJ goes out I tell him to be careful and that I love him.

God forbid anything should ever happen to him, but if it should there will be some comfort in knowing that when we parted my last words were meaningful.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I agree too. I do the same thing with all members of my family. However, I do it so that should something happen to me, THEY will be left with pleasant last words in their memories.

For personal reasons it is important for me to know that they know that I love them. And...that for them to know that I know they loved me too.

If I failed to return from one of my solo trips, these things would make the event easier for them.

That....and the obscene amount of life insurance money they'd get to share.;)

I also feel sorry for the driver who hit the Lad.

I do hope that no alcohol or drugs were involved.

Some years back a Lady walked out in front of my Brother-in-laws truck. He hit her.

She was in a coma for a number of years.

It was early in the morning and he was on his way to work as was she. The police and eye witnesses all said it wasn't his fault.

Still he suffered from a lot of sleepless nights and some sort of depression.

The idea of harming a child is something I don't think I could live with.

That poor driver is also in need of our prayers.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, may I gently point out that no one hit the lad? He was riding on a float in a parade, and fell off the side in such a manner that the wheels of the float (a flatbed trailer) ran over him. I doubt that alcohol was involved. It appears (this is speculation based on the picture and the new coverage) that there was nothing for an energetic youngster to hang on to. Very sad - but let's be careful not to intimate that the usual litany of culprits (fatigue, alcohol, drugs, excessive speed, etc.) were responsible. Sorry for ranting.

I agree that the driver needs our prayers. So, too, do those who witnessed the accident and those who knew him and were his friends.(This message has been edited by oldsm)

oldsm

I was in no way trying to say that the driver was in any way impaired.

Reading what has been posted it would seem that the police are still trying to find out exactly what happened.

I don't know what happens in other states, but as far I know whenever there is a accident of this type the PA State Police always check for drugs and alcohol.

I suffer from a very bad back and do at times use prescription pain killers which could impair my driving. As a rule I only take them at night, when I know that I will not be driving.

As I posted I do feel for the person who was in charge of the vehicle, at the end of the day he or she was responsible for the vehicle.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intent. When you mentioned drugs and alcohol, I took that to refer to illicit drugs - not prescribed meds. I apologize.

Based upon the picture that I saw and the news coverage, I would bet that drugs/alcohol were not involved. I also suspect that there is shared culpability.

In a parade, one normally cannot drive fast - usually about a walking speed or slower. Therefore, the likelihood of unsettling bumps and quick starts/stops is very much minimized. There were no reports of driver misbehavior, and his vehicle did not strike another.

There was no indication that there was anything for the lad to hang on to. He was probably sitting near the edge and simply lost his balance, or was perhaps shifting position, or who knows what. Maybe he was being energetic, as cubs are wont to be.

A driver cannot have his eyes constantly on every boy on his trailer/float while also watching the vehicle in front of him, bystanders (who may jump out), etc. It is physically impossible. That's why we should also have adults on the float, no? To supervise the young ones.

I suspect that the police investigation is probably trying to reconcile the various eyewitness accounts that I am sure they have. Who really saw what happened? Who remembers it the way they wanted to see it? Who was influenced by news reports? Who has suppressed what they saw?

Other than the driver, who was responsible for making sure that the G2SS was followed? Was the driver even aware that it exists?

I feel very sorry for everyone involved. It was a tragedy likely caused by a number of factors.

In no way judging the actions of any one involved....

In waterskiing we are required to have a spotter in the boat watching the skier(s) while the driver handles the boat. and atleast in my boat the spotter does not take his/her eyes off the skier... Maybe we need that kind of rule added to GTSS?

Prayers and thoughts go out to all involved.

oops, I had cut a few lines from my original post and then didn't re read it....

I was sugesting that a spotter could/should be required in the truck pulling the float. A timely shout of "STOP" could make all the diferance in a case like this.