Campout Fees - Adult Leaders

In my son's troop the adults pay their own way for everything,except for recharter fees, which the troop/CO pick up. The troop has done well with fundraisers, but the prevailing attitude among the adults is that we'd rather see the money used toward new gear or to help the boys pay their way, than to pay for our own adventures. After all, we're only facilitators here - this is not our club, it is the boys' troop.

Lisa'bob

In the troop which I serve, scouts and scouters each pay their own way. If there is a need for fund assistance that is available through troop 'sponsors'.

The commitee is looking into reimbursing all or a part of the fuel cost of pulling the troop trailer.

yis

One of the reasons we pay the adult fees for summer camp is that these folk give up a weeks paid vacation to "attend" to our scouts. We are grateful they offer this time off. Small price to pay for the service. Sure these guys and gals enjoy their week, but not as much as they might on their own vacation. Of course we would never turn down an adult who insisted on paying their own way. Summer camp is a big commitment for an adult.

Our CO will often pay our leader fees for campouts and training. If we go on a big outing like Jamboree or to Philmont leaders cover their own fees. If leaders work at fund raisers like suppers or car washes they get a share of the money for their "account". Most of the people in our community understand that it is a big commitment to be a leader and that you can't expect every leader to pay for everything.

That being said, I paid for a boy to go to camp last year because his family didn't have the money.

Our troop pays for adults to go to summer camp. After all, they are taking vacation time from work to volunteer to take the boys to camp. Adults that go on other campouts and drive are not usually reimbursed for gas so this is offset by the troop paying their fee for the campout. All adults pay their share of food costs.

You mean there are vacations OTHER than summer camp??? As I write this, the Today show is reporting that the average American worker forfeits 4 days of paid vacation per year. Reasons vary, but most feel that if they want to remain competitive in the workplace and meet workload expectations, they just can't afford the time off. Growing up, we never took the proverbial "family vacation" a la the Griswolds. We went to see grandparents maybe once a year for 2-3 days, but that was it. Dad was in the Navy and out to sea a lot. So I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

In our unit, everyone pays their own way. On occasion, we have reimbursed an adult who offered to pull the unit trailer when no one else would.

Campout and activitiy fees (camp fees, activity, food, etc) are paid by each person participating in the activity. Same goes for registration fees - everyone pays their own. The recharter fee comes from the troop fund. The troop fund comes from fundraising and occasional donations.

For most weekend campouts we manage to keep fees for food to $5 (for 3 meals)and for the most part, through good planning, we have been able to do that. Part of what we are supposed to be doing is helping the youth plan and manage money. I doubt that most parents could feed their youth lunch, dinner and breakfast for only $5 - at least that is not what I see when I watch many people buy food at the grocery stores and the lines at the fast food restaurants and the full parking lots at the regular parking lots. We still have parents who complain about the $5 food fee, but often their youth arrive at activities with fast food for one meal costing much more that $5.

We encourage the youth to participate in fundraising so that money is available to help pay for activities. Many of the parents transport their own youth so we don't have much of a transportation problem.

Personally, I no longer transport youth members in my personal vehicle but due to possible liablity issues in the event of an accident. I will transport gear though. I also no longer drive any of the chartered organization vehicle for the same reason.

And, I do not give to FOS. I pay hundreds of dollars a year to the program in support of activities, not to mention hundreds of hours of my time. I figure that is enough and much more than others.

You really need to learn that there are other vacations than scouting. Of course you can go check out the local attractions or even take longer trips. If those trips happen to eventually lead to a scout trip ... well... stuff happens!

Actually, as Dr. Phil says, everything in balance. YOu don't want to become a one dementional scouter. Eventually these boys will grow up and start families of their own. If their spouse isn't as into scouting as ... well... my family is... then they need to learn by early example that it is okay to be balanced and do other things. Of course it took drastic action to get that thru to my husband and two boys. I love scouting and we do alot (just got back from wood badge) but I wanted to do other things besides scouting on the one weekend a month that we didn't have scouts. They wanted to stay home and watch TV. We ended up on Dr. Phil. That is where I got the balance quote. Now we do other things. I like ren fairs and re-enactments. We are now starting a venture crew that will do re-enactments. ANd it all started with us taking a non-scouting vacation!

Mama Bear

I use to be a Bear...

C-10-06

I really don't like Dr. Phil !!

Somehow the idea of thinking that anyone who peddles a on line dating service is worth seeking advise from, just doesn't cut it for me.

What's next Tom Cruise on marriage and child care?

Eamonn.

Dr. Phil is a very nice man... a very TALL man. His advise to us was to have everything in moderation... to have balance. To take me someplace with indoor plumbing! (Yes, there was indoor plumbing at WB but that didn't count!!!) We have since made a point of doing things besides scouting. If anything, it has gotten me more involved with scouting... as I said, I just got done with WB.

Mama bear