How are medications typically stored during long or short term camp? Is there a BSA policy on this or is this an individual Troop/Camp decision? My son takes a daily medication that is potentially very dangerous if used incorrectly. At a recent counsil event his meds were handled very casually, to say the least. Who do I address something like this to? In our troop meds are handled very responsibly. No adult leaders from our troop were present. It was upsetting to me to see this treated so lightly at camp. Am I overreacting, or does anyone else see this as a serious safety issue? Thanks.

firecrafter

Our council camp required scouts to check in their meds to the medical staff at check in. A schedule was set and if the scout missed one dispursment, he was verbally warned. Two misses and the scoutmaster was notified. Third strike and his parents were called to retrieve their son. The camp enforced this, not the scoutmaster. Us adult leaders knew the schedule and reminded the scouts to get their meds, but it was up to the scouts to get them. We never had a 3 striker, but a couple of two strikes.

National is really cracking down on camps and requiring all meds to be held by a medical officer. On troop campouts, it's up to the troop to decide. We have chosen not to handle the scout's medication. However, for those that have medications that they cannot miss, we have an adult that reminds them to take it.

The issue of Meds at a Youth Camp,(in NY that is anything over 72hrs) is regulated by the state, as it is in most states. You need to find out what the state policy is cause its going to differ where ever you are.

Some states makes it the camps requirement some its the individual scouts. A lot of camps do not have a person who is authorized to issue MEDS so they may be breaking state and federal law by doing it.

It is my understanding that for short-term camping, the scouts should be self-medicating for both prescription and OTC. I ask that the scout's parents only give him enough meds for the time they are camping in a labeled zip lock bag and packed away with the rest of his sundries. This should not pose a serious safety issue as long as the boy's respect each other's property and privacy.

The adult leaders camping with the scouts should be aware of what medications they are taking by reading the medical forms or by asking the parents beforehand. That way, they can ask a boy if he has taken his meds or not. I don't think it is proper for adult leaders to store or dispense the boys' medications. There may be some legal medical issues involved here also, but I'm not sure.

A boy should be taught to be responsible for himself, including storing and taking his medications. A boy might treat this responsibility casually and either the parents know this, or it may become obvious by his appearance or behaviour that he's off his meds. If this is the case, I would have no other choice but to require that one parent go camping with their son to store and dose the medication for them.

I'm hoping our camp's procedures on issuing meds work better this summer. My son would have been sent home on the third day, if they had run it like Gern's camp, and it wouldn't even have been his fault! If the Scoutmaster didn't get down to the med. office in time, then the boys who had evening meds didn't get them, because the med. office was closed! My son has asthma, but luckily not bad enough to have severe repurcussions from 1 or 2 missed doses.

I know of a few parents who just didn't tell the Scoutmaster about their son's meds, because they didn't want to chance missing a dose. Our Scoutmaster started keeping our troop's meds in a locked box in his locked truck, so he could make sure our boys wouldn't miss evening meds.

What do your camps do about inhalers? My son has had to turn his in to the medical officer, but I feel he should have them with him at all times. At school he is allowed to carry his inhaler with him.

I would hate to see a boy sent home for forgetting his meds. I feel this should be partly the adult leaders' responsibility. My son is border-line ADD, and very forgetful. He could take his meds and then not remember that he just took them. I always make up a chart so he can mark off each morning and evening when he takes his meds. I tape this chart to the zip-loc baggie that his meds are in, and I include a pencil. Now, come on, how many of you adults out there are also forgetful? I know I am!

For weekend camp-outs, I usually just put my son's meds in a baggie with the chart and pencil. I send only enough asthma and allergy pills that he will need for the weekend.

This situation occurred at a counsil training event/camp. The only adult leaders present were not camping with or near the scouts. Each patrol & campsite was overseen by a scout 16 or older.

My son cannot miss meds without serious consequences. He is very responsible at home, taking his own meds on time etc. I know when his schedule/routine is changed it is harder for him to remember his meds. Scouts were at camp 5 days.

At camp, it was first suggested that my son keep his meds in his bag and take as needed. I was told other scouts were keeping their own meds. When I questioned the wisdom of this, leaders agreed to keep his meds in an unlocked cabinet at the lodge. The boys who have meds can go in and take them as needed. Anyone has access to the cabinet.

I was at camp mid-week. My son had remembered his meds on his own. There was no adult to check out medications, no adult to remind scouts-or check to see if meds were taken. No one knew whether my son had taken his meds or not.

I have been the adult in charge of meds on troop campouts many times. I have seen the array of medications the scouts bring. We have a couple of scouts with serious illnesses-so it is sometimes unreal what they bring! It would be a huge responsibility for scouts to handle their medications, not to mention have access to everyone elses. I'm not willing to risk it on my watch. We're not taking about drying out a tent here. ;)

We all know not every boy is "trustworthy". Wish that it was so. It just seems foolish to me to be so lax when handling medications.

So there really is no policy on this?

firecrafter

From the Guide to Safe Scouting. Note that none of the below is boldface!!! (it's not policy)...

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=ba

Prescriptions

The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed.

Inhalers at our camp remained with the scout. My son is insulin dependant and they allowed him to keep his pump (DuH!). They also allowed him to keep his Glucogon emergency kit. They were very cooperative on keeping his insulin vials refrigerated and allowed him to retrieve refills as needed (no schedule).

They also wanted adults to check in their meds (whats good for the goose is good for the gander). I have to admit that I kept my bottle of vitamin I (Ibuprophen) in my pack. Overall, I think the camp did it right. A wake up call to the scouts on self medicating.

The long term camp that my Troop attends requires that all meds be handed in, except for inhalers, epi pens, insulin pumps, etc. This includes adults also, so no meds are in the tents back at the campsite. There is also a new form that the parents must sign to allow the camp to give out the dosage.

Scouts using inhalers must bring at least 2. One to carry and one back-up in the health lodge. I would not send my son to a camp that did not allow them to carry an inhaler.

We also have new forms to fill out. Must be a new camp certification standard. A form must be filled out and signed by the parent for EACH DOSE to be given. No form - no meds.

Adults are also supposed to turn in all meds to the Health lodge, which I think is excessive. Our ASM refuses. I guess the down side is that if we find him unconscious somewhere, none of us knows where he keeps his meds and 911 is at least an hour away.

Scoutldr,

Odds are there is a Health/Safety professional on your Council's Executive Board. Have you considered having a talk with him? How does your Camps policy compare with other Virginia camps, both in and out of Scouting?

Remember, your Scout reservation has to comply with local law!

Prescriptions

The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed.

OK !! Here's my take on all of this.

When dealing with little Lad's I agreed to take on the responsibility.

If they wanted me to.

I agreed that I would take care of the meds and set up times when I would be available to hand them out. It was up to the Lad to come and get them. (OK, so I did remind and did chase after them) My idea was that I didn't want to leave myself open for anything that might happen if a Lad didn't take them.

At times I take some really heavy duty pain medication. Some of it looks like a sucker or a lollipop and tastes just like one.

I'm sure the main reason why camps take charge of meds is for security.

While some camps do have staff who can dispense medication, many do not.

I work with old people and the only people we allow to dispense meds are LPN's and above. I'm unsure if that is a PA State law?

I normally carry a few pills with me at all times in case of a flair up. I don't know when it's coming so I do my best to be prepared.

I think most camp staff first aiders would be willing to work with you and comply to your wishes.

If not you need to check out what the laws are in your state. You need to check out who is doing what in the Camp First Aid Station and what qualifications they have to be doing it.

And if need be you can quote the G2SS.

In your Troop you need to talk with the SM.

At a long term camp start with the person in charge of the First Aid area, then the Camp Director and then the SE.

Just because your Lad is at a Boy Scout Camp or event, you never give up your rights as a parent.

They might ask you to ensure that you take steps to make sure that any meds are securely locked up and don't pose a danger to the other campers. But he is still your kid.

Eamonn.

All medications must be provided by parents in the original RX container.

They are kept locked up (we use a large tackle box) and dispensed by the unit leader.

We create a schedule for when each boy is to receive their medications based on the directions printed on the RX container and conduct med calls using the schedule. The schedule shows every dose of every medication throughout the outting.

The boys initial the schedule each time they receive their meds.

The only time the camp medical staff stores medications for us is if it requires refridgeration.

Our council doesn't permit boys to retain their medications while in camp (might be a state law--I don't know) except for inhalers or medications for allergic reactions (e.g., bee stings).(This message has been edited by MarkS)