When Scouting skills become a way of life...

Here in the midwest, we have recently been buried under a foot and a half of snow. A lot of things had to shut down...mail couldn't be delivered, courthouses were closed, school was called off. Several of my sons' friends called telling my boys how bored they were. My children had NO sympathy and just told them to go outside and play! What did my boys do? They thought back to one of their favorite winter (Scout) outings when we built snow quinzes and decided to build one in our front yard. I don't know how many of you have built them, but with only two boys, they worked all day. Then they slept in it several nights and had a wonderful time. When their friends were envious, they just told them to THINK, then act, and they would have a great time.

No point to my story...just sharing what a wonderful basis Scouts can be for a young person's life. I'm so happy my boys would rather do something like this than the many other troubles they could be getting into!

Ma Scout

And here I am feeling gloomy because already it's the 3rd day of Spring and the temp won't rise above 50 degrees! I can't wait for July and 90 degrees! It seems the older I get, the colder winter feels.

Thanks for sharing.

Alas & Alak -- it got warmer. The quinze is still standing, and they could still sleep in it, but the ceiling is getting lower & lower & they gave it up. For some reason they didn't think they wanted to wake up with the roof on top of them. But they had a GREAT time! They even got their picture in the local paper.

Another plug for Scouting! (wink, wink)