What is an "appropriate presentation" for a National Certificate of Merit

We received notification in Oct. 2004 that my youngest has been awarded a National Certificate of Merit. For several reasons - not all good ones - he has yet to recieve his certificate. I have finally tracked down the person at Council who is in possesion of the Certificate. We have been playing phone tag - but he needs to ensure that the Certificate is presented appropriately - terminology I keep hearing in reference to the certificate.

My son is a second year Webolo & will be transitioning to a Troop as soon as they hand him his Arrow of Light (already earned, not received). Would it be appropriate to suggest that the Certificate be "appropriately presented" at the Arrow of Light ceremony?

wow! congratulations to your son! I know his parents are pretty darn proud of him!

I'm not an authority on these matters (where is old BW when we need him?), but I would think your idea is a fine one. This should be a solemn occasion in which the scout's achievements are duly recognized in front of his peers and the community.

Our council has an annual awards recognition ceremony in which these achievements are formally recognized a second time, along with Silver Beavers and the like.

We held a special Court of Honor for one of our youth who received this award. There was a big write-up in the local paper and invitations were sent to all appropriate people. The DE was there to make the presenation. Flag ceremony, refreshments, and a grand "to-do". I'd say at the very least you should have the presentation at the AoL ceremony. Congrats!

Within a week of turning 9, my youngest was the first to realize that his brother, then age 10, had flipped his kayak. The older one was in 9-10 feet of water where the current would have taken him downstream. He was not the strongest of swimmers at the time. My youngest immediately recognized the potential danger of the situation, grabbed an oar, ran over to the edge of the dock, held it out and ordered his brother to grab hold of the oar. He held onto the oar until an adult could pull the older one out of the water. This all happened in an instant. My youngest accomplished all of this without any instruction. He had the oar in his hand and was shouting instructions to his brother before I even realized his brother had tipped the kayak. He had him holding onto the oar by the time I managed to get out of my kayak.

His den leader encouraged us to submit the action to Council and here we are.

mdkeplers.

Congratulations to your son. What a smart, quick-thinking young man. It's a shame that so much time has passed since learning of his award and still not receiving it.

I think his AOL ceremony would be a wonderful time for the presentation.

Thank you for sharing that with us. He truly is a hero and should be very proud of his actions. I think that this is something that others need to see an example made. These actions are incredible and a significant ceremony should be performed.

Thanks, Rodd

Congratulations to your son on his quick thinking and preparedness! Bodes well for a great Boy Scout career. These type of awards happen so infrequently, I would rather see a special ceremony or Court of Honor just to honor your son. He deserves a day all to himself! And I think during an AOL ceremony, your son's accomplishment might overshadow the other AOL recipients. That is a special day for them too.