Dan - how about going to a den meeting with each den? Even better if you can work it out with the dl so that you can participate with the boys - like playing a game or something - at the one you attend. I know that helped me when I was trying to get to know our new Tigers last year. (just make sure you are clear with the DL about your motives so they don't think you're "spying" on them or something equally ridiculous.)

Lisa'bob

Michelle,

What Eagle-KY may have meant (and this is my belief) is that in Cubs, there is another adult who is immediately leading the boys in each den. The DL certainly must know their names. But if the CM forgets a name or two (only seeing the pack once a month or so) it is not so great a faux pas. In a troop however, the SM sees all the boys every week and there is no insulating layer between him and the boys. It is critical that he how his scouts by name. Just my opinion however, having served in both roles.

I feel that getting to know names is critical to making each Scout feel important and wanted, especially when they are just crossing over. In my troop, I make every effort to get to know the kids names as we are recruiting them. They feel great if when they show up at their first troop meeting and I know their name. When my troop was smaller, I knew every kid, their parents, siblings, etc. Now, I know all of the Scouts (within a couple of meetings) and at least one of their parents (providing they ever show up for a meeting or COH). If a troop ever gets large enough to where the SM doesn't know the names of all the Scouts (within a reasonable time) or has to delegate SM conferences, then the troop is too large. The thing that really increases the quality of Boy Scouting versus Cub Scouting is the Scouts getting to know their leaders better and the leader learning more about each Scout.

Chip, I'm sure you didn't intend insult but, being a Cub Scouter, I am concerned with your last sentence. I've read and understand all the above points about the Unit Leader getting to know the boys and their names. The importance is unmistakable, but I think the CM isn't the correct comparison to the SM. In Cubs, the foremost "adult association" contact is the DL. The CM is, as Trevorum (I think) said, "a layer away".

I think it's a hard working SM that gets to know his Scouts the way a DL gets to know his Den and their families. The "quality" of the boy's Cub experience is closely tied to the relationship that develops with the DL (not the CM) - and only having ~8 boys in a Den - I'm sure you can see the "quality" of those ties is likely to be quite strong.

jd

I've spent close to five years with a den, the first as my son's adult partner in Tigers, the next two as Den Leader, and the rest as Webelos Den Leader. I've spent a lot of time with those boys, their parents, and siblings. I like to think I know all of them really well. Tonight I put on my uniform and visited two of the boys. We went over one of the AOL requirements and had a nice chat about our time together in the den and about moving on to Boy Scouts. It was a lot like a SM conference.

I do agree with JD that a Den Leader can develop quite a wonderful relationship with the boys in the den. I think a SM can too with the boys in the troop, especially with his/her dealings with the boys through the SM conference. I got a glimpse of that tonight. Either way, it's really not the same type of relationship though is it?

In three weeks, I will be an SA for the troop my son is joining. I'm very worried about learning and remembering all the scouts and scouters names. I have a hard time with both faces and names. I may recognize someone but have a hard time placing from where. I've reached the point in my life where I'll ask for someones name instead of waiting to hear it used. I really don't like that I have so much trouble remembering. I've tried all sorts of things to help me but I still have trouble.

SWScouter

Wow! I'm impressed with the CM's who can learn 50-100 boys' names, as well as their parents' names! When I was the advancement coordinator for my den, I knew all the boys' names. Unfortunately, I didn't always pair the right name with the right boy!

In my younger days, when I was a camp counselor, I remembered the names of all 24 girls in my bunkhouse, within just the first hour of camp. I could remember the names of kids in the other bunkhouses by the 2nd day. Each week, we had 100 new names to remember! I don't think I could do that today!

Just like I do with my own 2 boys, I sometimes mix up the names of my Webelos. Of course I know every boy's name, so why does this happen?

Even worse, I've been known to call someone on the phone, and then forget who I called before they even pick up the phone. When I call my den, I keep my list right in front of me, because I sometimes "blank" on the parents' names, even though I have known them for years. In addition to aging, I think my brain is just getting overloaded!

Trev - Yep, that's it. Glad I'm not on this island by myself. As CM, I typiclally saw the boys for about 1 hour or so a month, with all of them coming in at the same time. I'd learn them over time, but not to the level I do as SM or when I was a Den Leader.

When I was in the Marines we had a commanding Officer whose first order of business was to have a mug shot of each Marine (on polaroid instant film, my goodness do they even make it anymore?)taken by the company First Sergeant's flunkie and it was placed in an album for the CO. I swear the skipper studied it because he learned everybody's name very quickly

It would be a very nice gift for a book to be made up of a simple snapshot of each cub and his immediate family. Have this book presented to each new cubmaster as he "takes command".

I live in a small town with the schools as a focus of activity. It is great to know even who the tigers are and say hi! I am the WEEB II den leader for two more days. I have been the activities chair and lead some portions of the pack meeting, I think some of the tigers think I'm the boss, or at least one of them.

When I was a CM, a few years back, I made an effort to know all 132 boys' name (first and last) and did quite a decent job of knowing them. I will admit though ,from time to time, I can't remember some of their first names and have to resort to calling the cub "Mr. xxx." They liked it by the way. I also attempted to learn all 131 sets of parent names. That's impossible. I also resorted to "Mr. or Mrs so and so ..." They would correct me and I would learn their first name.

It is not easy, but if you repeat it over and over again (eg., hey, Johny, please get off of that ... or Hey, Billy stop running through the ... for the upteenth time) you'll learn their names! Sometimes, it's neat to see their reaction when I called them by their full names! Some of them never thought that I would know!

What's tougher is to remember foreign last names! Those ... I had lots of problem with remembering! Our Pack is very diversed ... so there are lots of chances to practice.

I think that a CM needs to know every boy's name in the Pack. "Hey you" will only go so far! ... and it will allow you to relate well with the boys or the parents.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Hey OneHour - not to get too far off topic but I just about snarfed my coffee there when I read your post! 132 boys! Egads! How ever did you keep it from becoming total bedlam? We've got some elementary schools around here with fewer boys than that.

Lisa'bob

Yep ... you read it correctly, 132. That was 6 years ago when I was a CM. That's only 1/10 of the number of boys in my son's elementary school. Every year during that stint, we would recruit between 30-50 boys. We had 14 Dens all together numbering from 1-15 (skipping 13 ... and who says that we are superstitious?). In order to handle the pack that size, I had plenty of help. There are about 25 active den leaders and assistant den leaders. The committee was always standing room only, but all good things must come to an end. The committee tappered off and now we're lucky jus to have the den leaders there. Our Pack is currently standing at 90 boys with 13 of them graduating!

By the way, our brother pack from whom we split 10 years ago is also about the same size. At the time that our pack had 132 boys, they had 124! So within a 7 miles radius, we got the attention of 256 boys!

Needless to say ... the fun never stopped!

:)

1Hour

ps: hence the 1Hour ... 1 hour a week for every boy in the pack ... so it seemed!