Yesterday I spent the morning doing my last minute Chirstmas shopping. After fighting the crowds and spending my last dime on the dreaded Santa Clause gifts, I stopped at McD's for cup of decaf and a reading of a used newspaper. I was attempting to calm down and do a little relaxing.

Then all of the sudden my stinking cell phone rings. I was thinking to myself, "Great, I'm not in the mood to talk to anybody right now."

I answer the phone with a sarcastic hello. Lo and behold it was my friend Jeff on the line. He wished me a happy Festivus. I laughed and we had a short conversation about our favorite Sienfeld episode.

I told him that Festivus wasn't over until his son pinned him.

Amazing how one little phone call got me back into the "holiday" spirit.

Far far off in the future when we are truly are old and feeble and cannot "whatever" anymore we will look upon the gleeming poles, the airing of greivances and wrestling and some young smart butt will try to take all the fun away by saying the holiday is a sham as it was geminated by a trite "free broadcast" sitcom about nothing.

But the old white hairs long in the tooth will know no matter its origination, its what a holiday means to each of us that measures its value.

• 2 years later...