A year ago in September I was asked to be a Unit Commissioner for a Cub Pack that had lost it's "Cubmaster Who Does EDverything" and a struggling Scout Troop.

The only leader in the Cub Pack was the Popcorn Colonel who didn't even have a roster of families in the Pack.

15 months later, I attended an EXCELLENT Pack meeting Wednesday conducted by a fine Cubmaster who's working his Woodbadge Ticket. The Pack Committee Chair does an excellent job of supporting the Cubmaster. A request was made for parents to sign up for jobs such as the spring bicycle trip, spring overnight campout, Blue and Gold Dinner and such --- and low and behold, LOTS of parents signed up to help!

The Scout Troop has an excellent annual plan in place with monthly outings, including a snowshoe hike that leaves at 7AM Sunday. The downside to that is that I'm the defacto Scoutmaster, since the SM simply lacks the ability to do much planning. The other downside is that we have no one willing and able to do the serious recruiting work that needs to be done.

There are several parents pitching in for the Scout Troop, but key responsibilities still are not being done. Still, an excellent program is in place for the boys, although long term things don't look good.

Still, that's not bad for a Scouter's Christmas. I figure I'm doing my best, and so are a lot of other people.

So what would a good Scouter's Christmas be for you?

Seattle Pioneer

In 14 days time, ten years of serving at the District and Council level will come to an end.

I will continue to serve on the Area Committee.

Sadly I seem to have lost enthusiasm, for serving at the District and Council levels. In part because I don't have the same relationship with the "New" DE. And partly because I'm just tired.

I'm happy to pass the torch, it's time for new blood and fresh ideas.

I've already moved on and I'm overjoyed to be back working with the really important people, our youth members.

Sea Scouting is new to me, so just finding my way around is a new challenge.

I'm not sure what my Scouting Christmas wish really is?

I know I want to do a good job.

I already see how enthusiastic the Scouts are.

I don't want to let them down.

The list of things the Ship wants and needs is almost endless, but it will all fall into place, it will take a little time and a lot of money. When people see that the program is worth while they will willingly give both. Some might need a little help!!

I have never been able to work out if we Scouter's get the Scouts that we deserve?

I'm overjoyed and happy with the Scouts that are in the Ship right now.

I think my Christmas wish is that we are laying the foundation of something that is fine and good and will serve the kids in this area for a very long time.Long after I'm gone.

Eamonn.

My wish is for Scouters to rediscover the true meaning of Scouting. Let's renew our commitment to the principles of the Founders, who didn't give a whit about popcorn, FOS, committee squabbles, gays or atheists. Scouting is about developing character and confidence, fun in the outdoors, brotherhood, friendship, and service to others.