Why do adults quit?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do adults quit? As a scouter is trying to provide THE scouting program to the desired youth many other scouter's keep complaining about the moronic rules and not following them. :p(This message has been edited by dan)

• 2 weeks later...

I got in at the ground floor, Tiger Cubs. Survived the turmoil of four Cubmasters, really joined based on the first Cubmaster. Program was great, over the years it had a few holes and bumps.

When my son was ready to crossover, we looked at six different troops. Found one that felt right, and seemed right. Fast forward two years..

The current Scoutmaster is an egotistical arrogant person that doesn't go on any of the outings, shows up out of uniform, reprimands scouts that are not in uniform (unless they are in his Crew), forces scouts to join his Crew if they want Eagle! Those that have decided not to go through Crew, have been raked over the coals to get there. He has told me its MY troop, they are MY Eagles, and BSA has it all wrong only I do it right. Wheres the value here? (great reason for there to be term limits)

All of the other adult leaders see there is a problem (was actually a topic of discussion at summer camp four nights in a row after the scouts were in bed). I have offered to step in as SM if no one else will so the program can get back to being about the youth. No one from COR down, is willing to step up and address the problem, but they all like to talk about the problems.

I brought up a YPT policy, and was told to mind my own business, this is the way we have always done it (wasn't a serious issue).

Its sad cause I have met some really great people and have gotten to work with and know some fantastic kids. And, my son and I have really enjoyed the adventure weve had so far together seeing as neither of us was much of an outdoorsy type (plus Ive had a reason to gather a nice collection of camp gadgets and equipment).

So, I either grin and bear it, find another troop, start a new troop (have some that have approached me), or just abandon the ship USS BSA.

Its probably the fact that in most youth groups, the kids are great and the adults are in it for all of the wrong reasons!

I brought up a YPT policy, and was told to mind my own business, this is the way we have always done it (wasn't a serious issue).

Any YP issue is a serious issue! It may seem at the time to not be serious, but handling it with a "Butt out" attitude sends up a huge red flag in my mind.

Welcome Scoutdad2,

I think you have indentified one of the main reasons adults quit. But first we need to look at why most adults join. Most adults join I think because they want to participate with their son and contribute to his scouting experience, making it the best possible experience he can have. While a child is in scouting a parent is far more willing to put up with some of the more frustrating aspects of adult leadership because they know their son is having fun, and overall a beneficial experience. Once a child ages out or quits, most adults are far less tolerant and the frustrations build to the point where burnout occurs. The list posted is a perfect example.

Sure there are many adult leaders that stay in after their sons leave, and there are some that have no child or nephew in the organization. But I have been told in nearly every training class I've attended most adult leaders come from the ranks of parents.

SA