New Guie to Safe Scouting with a Yellow Cover

I has only been out since around July. I would also like to mention that there is a new Scoutmasters Handbook and a new Troop Leadership Trainng module too...you will need the new SM handbook to go with that as there is no longer a video, etc. but the training explanation is more detailed in the SM Handbook then in the Training module.

Sue, while I am picing up the new JLT training (thanks for that, by the way!) I'll have to get the new G2SS also ...

So... are there any OTHER new versions of critical pubs that you know of and which our local professionals may not have told us about? (evidently we need to discover this stuff via word of mouth!)

So... are there any OTHER new versions of critical pubs that you know of and which our local professionals may not have told us about? (evidently we need to discover this stuff via word of mouth!)

And this is surprising?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Trevorum

I don't think there is anything else that I can remember at this time...I will check though when I go to our local shop later this week. I only knew about these because our district Training coordinator mentioned it at our last Wood Badge Association meeting at the end of July (he is also the chairman of the WBA)

These Boy Scout Publications have recently been updated in either June or July 2005

Guide To Safe Scouting - 34416R

Scoutmaster Handbook - 33009C

Senior Patrol Leader Handbook - 32501A

Patrol Leader Handbook - 32502A

Merit Badges:

Skating - 35006B

Reptile and Amphibian - 33288A

Computer's - 33246A

Photography - 33340A

Bird Study - 33300B

Also, the Boy Scout Handbook will be updated soon.

My assumption is, if they don't tell you about it, it ain't critical. BSA can come up with more ways to get us to spend money on publications than anybody.

A friend of mine came back from Jambo with a "BSA Publications Catalog", which lists ALL BSA pubs, films, videos, training materials and forms, and their current catalog number and price. He said he knew of only one other copy at the COuncil office, that you could look at if you knew to request it.

Again, WHY does the BSA not publish such things on the web site for download and printing???

If you stop to think about it most volunteers only own 1 or maybe two BSA resources. Some own several and perhaps some really sick puppy has a private scout shop in their garage with every available resource.(no I don't)

The reason your not notified of every change is that not every one is applicable to you.

MOST trainers or commissioners will tell you that the best way to keep up the the latest version of the G2SS is to use the online version. It will always be the latest version.

Now as I have shared in the past you do not need to have the G@SS memorized. Unless you are planning to to every activity of the G2SS at once there is no need to know its entire content at once.

Here is what you do. Once every 6 months to a year print it off and take it with you on activities as a resource.

Does the Den want to do a bike hike? Then first read the section on cycling. Troop want to go shoot rifles, first read the section on firearms. Family camping, read the related sections.

The on-line version is always the most current.

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/

Here are a few other tips. If you are a cub leader before the new program year begins check to see if your handbooks have been updated.

If you are a scoutmaster once a year check and see if a new version is out.

READ scouting magazine, many times update are announced there.

GO TO Roundtable, many times updates are announced there.

TAKE supplemental Training, many times updates are announced there.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)