Pack Recruiting @ Parochial Schools

I'm going to be doing recruiting for our cub pack at a Catholic K-8th grade school this fall. Any pointers and techniques people might suggest for this would be welcome.

In the past, a pack at a neighboring public elementary school recruited from this school, but it collapsed a year ago. I couple of years ago, some parents at this Catholic School made an effort to start their own Cub Pack, but it failed.

I'm expecting that we will be sending recruiting leaflets home twice with children before holding a Scout Night at this school. I'm also expecting to "sticker" interested students at lunch the day of the Scout Night with stickers that invite boys and parents (with the idea that they will survive until students get home).

We will probably also be making up some yard signs to post at the school a couple of days before the Scout Night.

All pretty standard recruiting stuff. But what could we do that might appeal to the special character of a Catholic school? Also, what approaches ought I to make to the Catholic church in support of this Scout Night ---- perhaps asking to talk to Sunday School students and include leaflets in the Church program and perhaps ask for a plug during the Sunday service? Perhaps there is a men's organization that might be interested in promoting Scouting.

What are reasonable things to ask for to support this recruiting effort?

Seattle Pioneer

First I would contact the parish, if it is a parish school ( the Priest control everything), if it is a diocese school than contact them ; asking permission first.contact the the Religious Education Director, and the School Principal.Scouting is part of the Youth Ministry , .

Contact the Catholic Committee on Scouting at your council, they have the contacts and knowledge needed.( there are several patches which that could be used to help recruitment of scouts) use the religious emblems program.Put your notice in the Parish Bulletin, offer donuts and coffee after mass with a display on scouting.

There are several lay groups, as the Knights of Columbus, Catholic War Vets, Ancient Order of Hibernians, that do support youth groups.

The Archdiocesse of Seattle website: seattlearch.org , I'm not sure if this number is still current (206)382-4595 .

Talk to the Altar Servers director/or staff more useful for boy scouts , but can help. I would contact the Troops in the area to see what contacts they have with the school. Maybe you both could put on a program for a Saturday . What you have stated in inthe post is great.

Best of Luck

"Dia Beannacht"

See if you can borrow the uniform of a webelos's uniform. Hopefully it has all the badges, tiger, bobcat, wolf, bear. Lots of beltloops, or have pictures. Hold up a beltloop, and ask them if anyone likes to do or try any of these activities. Bow and Arrow, Swimming, Soccer, ect. Tell them that they can learn and participate in these events, if they join up. Show them a unfinished pine wood derby car, and ask them what it is. Then show them a finished one. Ask them if they would like to build one. You could even have a boy in his tiger uniform, and the finished product in the webeloe in uniform. Explain the tiger is the place to start, and here is the finished product. Each patch on the uniform tells a story of what the boy has done. How would you like to have this story about yourself?

I think Sea Bear summed it all up..........if you have someone (Catholic) in your pack who is willing to become a religious emblems counselor.......that would be a plus.......or maybe there is one for the District...I Think the emblem for cubs is the Light of Christ.........it's be awhile since i have been involved with cubs..........

Kids are kids! Attract these kids the same way you would any others.

Parents, however, are a different story. SUBTLY incorporate a bit more of the 'duty to God', 'moral choices', and other elements that contributed to them selecting a Catholic school in the first place- spirituality, quality, opportunity, morality, safety, parental involment, etc.

Our pack was based in a Catholic school even though I am not Catholic. I don't think we did anything we would not have done in any other school setting.