Getting back into school to recruit new Cubs

I need some help please. Our pack primarily draws from two schools. One catholic, the other public. My trouble is with the public. Up until a new school district superintendent took over 4 years ago, we had no problem going into the school to speak with the boys about joining a pack. Apparently, one boy wanted to join and his mother was totally against it. She had a fit with the school district super, and that she had to break her son's heart because she didn't want him to be a part of scouting. The superintendent said we could no longer come into the school. Her reason being that if she let us in, she would have to let all groups in. It has been this way for the past three years. I'm a new cubmaster this year and I really want to change this. I spoke with the cubmaster of another local pack that draws from another school in the same district, and it has really hurt his membership. We are thinking of getting together with our local DE and approach the school board on this. My other thought on the arguement the super is giving is this: If no outside group is allowed in, then why is the PTA permitted as much freedom in the schools as they wish? They are an entirely separate non-profit organization from the school district, with many similar goals as our own, at least according to their national web site.

I guess I'm really just looking for some guidance and suggestions on the matter. It really bothers me that we are the only school district in our council with this problem.

Thanks to you all.

Vince.

Taking from your post, you or the District have been out of the schools for four(4) years now. At the time (four years ago ) where was your DE, where there talks between DE and the School's Superintendent, this must have affected the whole District Cub program,and what have been taking place for the last four years in recruitment of cubs?

We had something very similar almost happen here in our District; A person complained about assemblies where BSA came in to recruit. Our district join ranks along with our DE, there where talks to the Board of Education, letters sent in support, the Council was involved to some extinct. Luckly the scouts where allowed to continue to recruit inthe schools and have assemblies.

Even so, recruitment should not just depend on an assembly or flyers in school. I believe that you could be a little to late to try to change the School Board minds, but you can always try. As for the PTA, your reasoning ;I would highly suggest that this is not the right course. If anything ,I would try to gain their(PTA) support could be done several ways as to have the parents of the scouts become members of the PTA and if they are already build your base of support with them. I would uses the Cubs, in volunteering to plant flowers around the school, or pick up trash, service projects, etc... I would have the cubs raise and lower the flags if possible , have them wear their uniforms the day of their den meetings to school, If you can get permission to set-up a display case in the school( pinewood derby cars etc... are great)have flyers past out about a meeting off school property where your pack meets, etc... Awhile back we had a post cardwhich could be sent to the Cubs hero's great way to send to the teachers, etc...

The other side of the coin...use the resources in your commuity, flyers on pizza boxes, do a bike rodeo, fishing derby, Bowling night etc... Get out let them see cubs in action , Scout Sunday, etc... Try the local radio stations to anounce your events, some colleges have radio and tv stations which they must give free time to the community groups ( do a spot with them "Cubs in Action" ) The BSA National has free billboards .

It seems as many units depends on only one or two methods of recruitment, many Boy Scout units only rely on the packs to fill their ranks, get your Troop involve with help. Setting up a camp off school land , but within sight of scouting activities. Local malls, could be used. Now with the concern of needs for the survivors of Katrina; food drives clothing, tools, building supplies etc... could be done with the scouts in your area, When people see what scouting is about, 99% of the time they will support you.

Best of Luck,

great ideas, seabear!

Also, Vince, someone from the Unit or District should approach the Superintendent again. You have to understand his role, his constituencies, and his legal obligations and constraints. Try to cooperate and work with him to succeed within his rules. There are ways - usually they involve paying your own way and never having a captive audience - that between you, the Supe, and probably the PTO, you can get better access than you have right now. It will never be like the good ol' days, but . . .

jd

You make some very good points. I think why we might try the school board is because the superintendent made this decision on her own, with out their knowledge. as for getting the PTA support, great idea, and I will definitely try.

I understand the urge to go to the school board, but I'd be slow to do that. I'm a former school administrator, and I can tell you, going to the board will definitely burn any bridge with the superintendent. At least try the superintendent - as I said, on her terms, before you go over her head.

Even with the board you're not going to get back what you used to have. The reality now is to build the best bridge you can - it would be better if the superintendent can be on your side as you do that.

The supe has no reason to try to make it difficult for you. Together you can talk out the problems and the parameters.

GOOD LUCK

jd

Ditto with John D. Be careful to not do anything that will fan or create embers of resentment on someone's part. Remember- it IS the school's right, as best they can determine by the laws, to either allow or deny everyone as long as they do so rather evenly.

We are a bit easier to deny since the courts AND the BSA has decided that we have a religious element, which creates a potnetial 1st Ammendment conflict.

The answer is simply to find other recruiting efforts- look at this like a challenge to find different and BETTER ways to recruit!

By the way- you can often still get 'partial access' in newsletters (even if it is a paid ad), materials that can be picked up and taken home (rather than in-class handouts), sign-up booths outside, etc.

Good luck!

You all make valid points, and I will listen. That's why I posted, I wanted another opinion before acting.

Our round-up isn't until the end of the month, so we do have a little time. Another avenue we might try is Back to School Night. Even if we just have a presence there, and let the parents come to us. Sort of like an information table in the back of the room.

As I understand it (and I'm no lawyer), the Supreme Court decided that government could not use anti discrimination laws to punish the Boy Scouts for their membership policies. I would presume that the same thing applies to school districts.

My supposition is that school boards, parks and other government units aren't permitted to discriminate against the Scouts because of our membership policies.

So the "if we let one in we have to let them all in" argument should work in favor of the Scouts, not be permitted to work against us.

That's the theory I operate on, anyway.

Around here, pricipals are free to decide their own policies. The public elementary school I work with has a very supportive princiapal, and the PTA charters the Cub Pack. I make a point of attending PTA meetings in uniform, and the Cub Pack will be sponsoring the school spaghetti dinner that takes place the evening of the school open house in October. I recently asked the principal what the Cub Pack could do for the school, and as a result the pack will be doing a flag ceremony for the Veterans's Day Assembly and attending a service project on ML King's birthday at the school.

Seattle Pioneer

Hello Vince,

The problem you describe is a way of life for us in our council. In addition to the factors you mention, in our schools, we face:

1)Unionized teachers who desire compensation for additional duties like distributing flyers

2)Very strong pressure to do nothing non-academic in schools due to state testing of students

3)A very substantial community sentiment in favor of gay rights

Very rarely are we now allowed to make presentations in classrooms. In some schools, we are allowed to distribute flyers. In some others, we are completely unwelcome.

Our units have needed to use alternative methods, word of mouth, etc. to recruit. The service projects mentioned will help, particularly if you broadly publicize what you are doing and who you are and how to join.

I suspect (I am not sure, of course) that youth sports do not recruit in schools, yet they seem to have no trouble getting sign-ups. How do they do it?