Is this a Boy Run Troop?

Right Bob,

Thant's my point. It does not appear in "Aids to Scoutmasteship" or "Varsity of Life" as noteed in BSA training manuals. It was a combination of Baden-Powell's concepts done by the BSA National leadership in the 1920's.

It's much like if you say something enough times then people will believe it as a fact.

That's all.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. Here are the answers to some of the questions that have been asked.

First, our new SM has been trained, and he and I are of one mind as to the need to make some changes hey, thats one of the reasons he asked me to become an ASM. One of the first things were doing is reorganizing the patrols. Some had become small, and some were leaderless and/or totally dysfunctional. This was his idea, after I pointed out to him some of the problems I had observed. This was presented to the PLC, and they agreed. In fact, the main purpose of the PLC meeting I mentioned originally was to come up with a plan to create the new patrols. This effort will be undertaken at tonights meeting. Whatever the outcome, we realize the need to train and set expectations for the resulting leadership something I believe has been lacking in the past.

Most of our oldest Scouts have been to Brownsea Junior Leadership Training. Im just not sure how much of an opportunity theyve had to implement what theyve learned. Its my sense that it would have been difficult for them to overcome the burden of the way weve always done it. In the future I hope to find out what ideas they may have, and give them the support they need to try them.

I dont think its a case of the adult leadership being lazy, as was suggested. In fact, we have a bunch of hard-working people supporting the troop, as they supported the Cub pack previously. I believe this is part of the problem. Despite the lectures THEY gave ME in the beginning, I think theyre still running a Cub program. Theyve been trained themselves, and they repeat Ita Boy Run Troop like its a mantra, but that seems to be the only thing they took away from their training. I was stunned to observe how much of the annual planning they took upon themselves, while still deluding themselves that the boys were doing it. I think their lack of personal experience with a Boy Scouting program leaves them blind to the shortcomings we suffer. Car camping is all they know, and they think its enough, and are probably personally intimidated by the notion of going backpacking. I think they sensed my dissatisfaction with the program, and they encouraged me to attend training, I think in the belief that I would come to see things their way. Instead, it just crystallized for me where we were going wrong, the importance of trying to get back on track, and made me more determined to make the effort.