There are lots of ways to make a game out of fire building. I relate one I used with success a few months ago.

The Cub Pack I work with was planning a day hike to a nearby park. In order to add a fun activity at this destination, I headed there directly.

I prepared a supply of candle ax firestarter, tinder, kindling and larger firewood in separate piles. A pinic area had several barbeques in it.

I set up each barbeque with a blown up balloon tied to a stick so it was held 18" or so above the bottom of the barbeque.

When the Cub Scouts and adult arrived, they formed themselves into small groups with an adult in charge of the firebuilding at each barbeque. A discussion on safety as held before the competition began.

One boy at a time could come and choose one handful of whatever kind of firebuilding material they wanted. They could come as many times as they liked. Matches were under the supervision of the adult, although the Scouts lit off their fires I think.

The winner was the team that popped their balloon the first. Every team did manage to get their balloon popped, and everyone had a fun time, I think.

Once built, the Cubs roasted hot dogs on a stick for part of their lunch.

Seattle Pioneer