Does any of the infinately more knowledgeable than I am know what the age/rank requirements will be to attend this event? Nephew is dying to go and the sooner I either break his heart or start his saving towards it the better for both of us.

Any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle

Thanks Eamonn.

I just got back from there. He is going to be a very unhappy young man, too young by 3 1/2 months.

That's his luck lately, too young this year for National Jambo, too young for our districts Philmont trip next year. Too young for World Jambo....I just hope he still wants to be involved by the next National Jambo.

Michelle

I know the feeling -- my son is eleven -- too young for Jambo05 and will be too young for WorldJambo07.

Like you, I hope he's still interested when Jambo10 rolls around.

Its funny, I was talking to a dad last nite at our Troop meeting who's son will be going to his second Jamboree next week -- and I told him about our situation.

Talk about unfair -- but there's nothing either one of us could do about it. I guess I could lie about my son's age on his World Jambo application, but how Scoutlike would that be?

Since World Jambo happens about a month before my 40th I'm hoping my better half and I will be able to take Nephew to Alaska...that is where I have always wanted to go for my 40th birthday....well, at least since I was 25 and accepted 40 as an inevitability. The costs will be about the same and the experience could be as wonderful.

Michelle

Good things come to those who wait......or can hold on long enough! ;) I think one of the problems we have with retention in scouting is we recruit them with a lure of high adventure. Once they are signed up, we tell them they can't do all of the things they saw videos or pictures of until they are 13 or 14. We have new scouts champing at the bit for that 3rd year of summer camp when they can finally shoot guns and do the cope course. The trick is keeping them satisfied with other "adventures" until they get old enough to do the "real" deal.

My son has the opposite problem. He'll be 18 by World Jambo and not able to attend, at least as a Scout. I'm looking in to him being a young Scouter, but he's disapointed that he might have to work it and not be able to completely enjoy.

Does anyone know about what kinds of jobs 18 year olds would do?

He is one of those lucky regarding National Jambo, though, and he knows it! He was 12 and went last time and is 16 now and Senior Patrol Leader! They leave for Gettysburg and DC at 5am Friday - he's excited!

At 18 He might be able to join the Staff, at 18 most staff jobs that are remaining to be filled should be open.

for a rough idea theres a list here:

http://www.eurojam.org/english/ist/jobs.php

and a pdf of jobs that are available at the Eurojam camp here (pdf):

http://www.scouting2007.org/english/get.php?DocNO=169

Working on a Staff team at an international camp is a fantastic expeirience, some of the things that may be useful if aplying for a staff team are first Aid qualifications/knowledge, and any other qualifications that may be specific to an activity ( ie rock climbing/kayaking etc)

as well as any specific trade knowledge ( plumbing electrics etc) .

also If hese not allowed to travel as part of your group for any age reason (ie too old for a Scout, too young for a leader) he may be able to travel to the site independantly.