Hello all. I have a question.

At summer camp this past week, I was attending a Trek Safely class and was informed that when traveling by automobile the front passanger seat is only to be occupied by a child of driver or anouther adult. The seat cannot be occupied by any other boy in the Troop.

I asked the instructor if he had a copy of this policy or a publication number. He said it is in the "new" Driving Pamphlet.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this policy?

This is not really a problem, but we do have a few leaders without boy's in the Troop and we have access to a Church van, and this situation may come up.

One good question raised in the class I was in was what about a standard cab pickup truck with bench seating for three?

This may just be a Council Policy, but figured I would throw it out there.

Thank you,

ASM Joe Leeper

Troop 555

NEGA Council

As I am still involved with the Pack my Scout carrying has been mostly limited to Cub Scouts which I do not allow in the front seat of my car because of the air bag danger for smaller children. My own Scout wasn't allowed to sit in the front seat with me until he broke the 110lb mark (about 2 years ago). I've never heard it as a rule, just a personal family rule that was used as a guideline even for non-scouting events (yes, there are such things, even in scouting families).

Any idea of the reasoning for the alleged rule? Youth protection? Air bags? Something else?

Oh, and for the record - "Shotgun" is used in Maine too.

Michelle - CM - P102

Was unaware of the driving pamphlet. . . G2SS makes no mention of this rule.

Our troop has a guideline that in most situations if another adult is not in the passenger seat then one of the "senior" (older) scouts is in the passenger seat with the task assignment of keeping the rest of the Scouts in the vehicle under control and as needed to act as a navigator, so that the driver can concentrate on driving. The driver's son may ride in the passenger seat when permitted by law (air bag regs), in which case there is usually an older scout in the car also, to maintain order.

I think this is another case of someone making up their own rules.

"I asked the instructor if he had a copy of this policy or a publication number. He said it is in the "new" Driving Pamphlet."

So new that no one else has seen it including the instructor?

Can you say URBAN LEGAND"

This is pretty much the response I was expecting.

The reason as explaned to us in the class is for Youth Protection, (although the air bag issue is a good reason also.)

As I said it may be a local guideline. I feel it has some merit, but was just looking to see if it went into depth at all.

Thank you all,

ASM Joe Leeper

Troop 555

NEGA Council

Why don't we just make a rule that no adult leader may come within 10 feet of a youth. IF this is indeed a new national "policy", then we will just say that parents must make their own arrangements to get their son to the activity site.

Ed-

Then the other seat passenger BETTER be your own kid or another adult, or you are in violation of the Youth Protection Guidelines.

This smacks of a local rule or 'invented guideline. Personally, it has always been my policy (in and out of Scouting) to offer the shotgun seat to a guest out of courtesy. (I don't need to worry about the airbag situation in my older vehicles!)

I really cannot see that this is a violation as long as there are other people in the car. Maybe some kinds of cars offer better opportunities for clandestine acts than most I am familiar with?

I haven't heard of this rule before. It would be a problem for me.

In the back of my van, the scouts can watch a movie (with headsets) for long drives. Then I can have a scout in front for a long SM conference or just to discuss stuff with them. This has become my best way of connecting with scouts - especially the older ones, and helping to train them or guide the program.

DonM

I've never heard of this rule but I do not allow my son or any of his friends ride in the front passenger seat but it's for other reasons! I believe in NY State the law requires or recommends I'm not sure which one, that all children 12 & under have to ride in the back. I also have a front passenger airbag so that's another reason the kids ride in the back, it's too dangerous for them to sit in the front in case the airbag goes off. Actually I would like to have the airbag disengaged in the steering wheel as I'm short & sit rather close to the steering wheel!

Regarding the 3 seat pick up, I would assume that you'd have your child in the middle!

As in the case of the van, depending on the laws of your state (the age that that a child can sit in the front) & if there's a passenger airbag I would have an older child sit in the front passenger seat since most of the time they are taller & don't have to sit so close to the dashboard!

Here on Long Island we yelled "shotgun" too! Me, I always needed to sit near a window! I always need the window open while I'm in a car, even if the A/C in on! I need to hear the window open so I don't feel enclosed!

Judy