Do we take ourselves too seriously?

Has everyone been asleep for the past 37,000 posts? If this forum isn't taking things too seriously, then I would hate to see it when it finally happens. The interchanges here over the smallest supposed infraction is like watching a group of dogs fight over a scrap of meat. I have asked for more forgiveness here than anywhere else. Yes, we, I are too serious and your question is like asking if the green fence is green. Yes it is green and yes it needs more color, much more color, more fun.

FB

I (and I bet most of us here) have heard old Scouters gather up 'round the cracker barrel and talk for hours about Scouting as if it were somehow the reason we won WWII, cured polio, and got to the moon- all just totally because of the god ol' BSA.

I look at some of my old appointment book entries and see Scout-related meetings literally every other night for a few weeks at a time.

As I cleaned out my closet earlier today, I pulled out no less than 8 (EIGHT!) pairs of Scout socks.

Yeah. I think we sometimes take ourselves and the BSA a bit too seriously and forget that it is just supposed to be a game. I also think that sometimes we let this attittude slip to the Scouts and it helps cause them to look at Scouing a bit askew as well.

It's an excellent question.

I think, with all these rules and guidelines and uniforms and requirements and training (not to mention divisive social issues and lawsuits and such), that it is far too easy for adult Scouters to take ourselves seriously. Especially for those who soberly LIKE rules and regulations and alles in ordnung.

The "game with a purpose" is a good mantra to keep in our minds. If we're not having fun, if the BOYS aren't having fun, then what's the point?

Personally, I don't think anyone in my troop would accuse me of taking myself too "seriously". I guess what I am is "enthusiastic" about the chance to teach young men and maybe positively affect their lives in some small way. As another poster says from time to time, "I love this Scouting stuff!"

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Scouting, I really enjoy being around the youth members and the new leaders at training's.

I don't see this game or the purpose as being rocket science.

The sad thing is that there are things that just can't be taken lightly.

The safety of our Scouts is always number one and we have to take this very seriously.

I do think that we should play this game by the rules and like it or not a lot of the rules come out of the National office and from different committees.

The thing that I'm finding harder and harder to see as part of the game is the financial end of things. Sure we all like to have the odd moan and groan and some of us see that we could maybe do a better job of how we spend the money we raise. But when we start making cuts and these cuts hurt people that we know and like and the end result is that families get hurt. I take this very much to heart.

It is sad when programs get cut or lost due to lack of money, but we tend to be like Little Orphan Annie, singing about the sun coming out tomorrow.

Eamonn.

I think there's a difference between taking yourself too seriously and taking what you do too seriously. The former: not good. The latter: I don't think it's possible. If making a commitment to do something, learning how to do it, and trying your best to do it right is taking what you do too seriously, then I'm guilty as charged.

One thing I try not to do is invest too much of my ego in a job, paid or volunteer. Those things can go away overnight, and if you've defined yourself in terms of what you do, then when you don't do it anymore, what have you become?

KS

KS,

In the past year, I have seen a few serious volunteers that have lost their daytime jobs. They tried to continue being volunteers afterwards but then had to quit because they no longer could afford their leisure activities. All of it seemed to disappear overnight (*actually over a period of months). I felt they were serious about their daytime jobs also but it appeared that Scouting was where they spent most of their time and efforts. I am sure they defined themselves primarily as Scouters before so what they became once they lost both endeavors is uncertain.

I know they will be missed.

FB

I have always said that I have the coolest job in the world - and it sure isn't the one I get paid for. But I also realize that as CM, a lot of boys and parents depend on me to entertain them and help provide a program that they get excited about. Most don't even realize that Baden Powell envisioned our role as scout leaders to teach leadership, discipline, and self reliance. And I suppose that in a well run program the boys will learn these these things without them or their parents realizing they are being taught.

Too seriously? I am not sure about the TOO part of that question. I am sure one would be considered TOO serious if they hung on every word in every Leader Handbook and Guidline published by BSA and never had any fun. However, it is important to remember that, while we as leaders are given a lot of leeway when running our program, there are guidelines that are set before us to abide by. As one of my college instructors once said, "The (course) book is there for a reason. Many educated and experienced people spent time and effort to put together the information for you to use and succeed by. It is not for you to decide what to regard and what to disregard." There is a lot of merit to that statement.

I often think back (as I am sure we all do) to my time as a youth scout. It may have been only one hour a week but I recall many, many events during that time. Many of the things I learned as a scout helped shape my life.

Too seriously? Probably. But being a scout leader is not akin to being a recess monitor. When I tell new leaders that the most important thing is to have fun with the boys I also make sure they are aware that there are guidelines for that fun.

I found this sometime ago and have used it in my closings a couple of times. I think it is quite known but I will include here in case you haven't seen it. It goes a long way in point out how serious we should take our responsibility.

http://www.scoutxing.com/poems/poems070.htm

Jerry