how appoints and how removes a COR

How specifically appoint the COR? (The organization head ie: pastor or preist?)

How specifically removes a COR(the pastor or preist?)

How do you specifically, remove a COR ??

The Charter Organization Rep (COR) is appointed by, and can only be removed by the head of the Charter Org he is a representative for.

If your unit has a problem with it's COR, your Committee Chair (CC) should talk to the head of your Chartering Organization.

The only other way would be if a COR had done something bad enough (illegal, abuse, etc) that the council's Scout Executive (SE) pulled their National BSA registration.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

What publication is this informmation found in?

Where can one procure the publication?

Is it available off oof the National or a council web site, That can be down loaded?

What if the COR is also the CC?

I am sure it is in the various Leader Books and other BSA publications. I do not have the specific literature numbers, names & pages in front of me.

You can get some info here:

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-507.html

What position in the Unit do you hold? Not a lot of info to work with here.

Talk to your Cubmaster, Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor if you can't talk to the CC. If you can't talk to them then call your council to find out who your Unit Commissioner is and contact him/her. If that won't work, talk to your District Commissioner.

Think before you act. There is a good chance you won't like the outcome of any action you take.

The COR has the option of sending you packing... he doesn't even have to say why.

He could fold the entire unit.

He could simply quit leaving it up to the IH to replace him or fold the unit.

Not much chance of a good outcome unless the IH agrees with you and even then it could be messy. Keep in mind he is a member of the CO... are you?

No matter how many times they vote, the mice can not elect a new cat.

Never an easy thing to do, but we did it this year. Last year when I joined the pack and took over as CM, the COR was also serving as WDL and the fundraising chair. The outgoing CM and treasurer surprised me at the end of the year (as they were walking out the door) with the news that the COR had collected a large sum (hundreds) of fundraising money and failed to turn it in. We discussed it with the District Key 3 and tried to collect from him with phone calls and even certified letters, but the COR (who had the old CM illegally award his boy the AOL and bridge over to Boy Scouts at the Pack meeting before I took over - but that is another story) would not acknowledge it.

We are sponsored by the school PFC and the COR was the Vice President of the PFC. I went to the PFC president and requested a new COR. The president asked why and I told her that the existign COR "was no longer active with our group and we would like a new rep." Some puzzled looks but she asked another member of the PFC if she would do the job. We also replaced most of the Pack committee who had condoned these past actions.

The new COR asked me what happened to the old one. I simply told her that the old COR had misappropriated Pack funds and therefore we wanted a new one. I now attend the PFC meetings and the old COR (still the VP) won't look me in the eye.

We never got that fundraising money, but I get satisfaction from our sudden poularity on campus thanks to the active volunteers in our new pack committee and their commitment to the phrase "on my honor."

Hello, Cubmaster Mike---

Wow, that's a wild tale!

I'm don't doubt you had your reasons, but did you consider getting help in collecting the money from your District Committee Chair or District Executive? They might have found the means to collect the money themselves, or called in the cops for a little discrete chat with the Chartered Organization Rep.

They might well have put people on the BSA list of people who should not be leaders in the future.

Congratulations on working your way through a difficult problem.

Seattle Pioneer

Yes, we did ask for assistance Seattle, and the Distrcit recommended we go to Small Claims Court. We decided that rather than force a new pack committee to go on the attack and dredge up an ugly part of our pack history,we would rather take the high road and let this one go.

CMM

INLB, wouldn't it be the COs role to track down and recover THEIR money? Why would District suggest you pursue small claims court?? I don't think the Pack would have standing to effectively file such a claim. . .

??????

BTW, there are COR training materials available (DVD entitled "Training the Charter Organization Representative" - #AV-02DVD17) that will help COs and CORs better understand their roles and responsibilities. That material is pretty clear about how the COR is selected and approved by the CO and its IH.

jd

While not wanting to stray from the thread I do think that Cubmaster Mike has brought up something that sad to say seems to happen far more often than it should.

Someone not turning in money.

I have had people on my doorstep wanting the District (Key 3) to get involved.

Sad to say we can't do anything to get the money back. We can talk to the CO and let them know that they have a problem.

I have had the Council ask me to help them track down popcorn money that wasn't turned in!!

All I can do is ask.

When I was Cubmaster we had a parent who didn't turn in money from a fund raiser. The Pack Committee, sent registered letters, called and even set up a repayment plan up with the parent. In the end the committee seen that they were not getting anywhere and handed it over to a collection agency.

Please don't be shocked that the District or the Council didn't do more. We don't have any methods that you don't have and the money belongs to the CO.

Eamonn.

I had the same problem,,,when I took over as Scoutmaster I had a member of the troop who had not turned over money from a fund raiser. About all you can do is call them and try to make arrangements. In my experience those who are going to pay will pay. Those who let it go generally let it go...there are lessons to learn (granted they may not be the type you want) but lessons to pass down to all who are involved with fundraisers. Make sure you have a good committee, make sure all of you are on the same page!!!

When all else fails asked yourself...are we following the Scout Law and Scout Oath?

In the end I did get some of the money collected. Another lesson to learn is did you interview other troops before selecting, how many? If you had questions did they answer them? Was the answer ok?

You have to match yourself and your son with the right troop. Just crossing over to the local troop isen't always the best direction.

Edited by Eagle Foot