Scouters choosing a new Unit

So, HYPOTHETICALLY, you're moving cross-country. You're going to find a new home, school district, neighborhood and Scout Unit for your son. You've got an advantage though, you're a Scouter. You know what to look for. . . . Don't you?

What would you look for in a Unit for your son (and, probably, yourself)?

Would that answer be different for Cub and Scout Units?

Would District or Council be of any help, or too politically correct to be useful?

(I guess, one way to consider this is to decide what about your present Unit you would "sell" to a prospective Scouter .)

Thanks,

jd

I think when you go shopping there are certain things you need to look for, here's my list;

1 - Is your SCOUT happy? (I mean if they are having problems that are not safety issues, an experienced scouter can make a world of difference, is your SCOUT happy can't be fudged.)

2 - Are they running something that looks like the program? Remember many units have trouble getting to the full picture, you don't know the history of how they got to where they are at... etc. Are they headed in the right direction?

3 - Do you think you can be involved with the adults? If not check into helping as a UC, or as District/Council folk... Remember if 1 & 2 are met, but you can't hang with them, cause they pick their noses wrong, maybe you can be a resource for them, rather than a problem to them

Good luck. In my case most folks around me and my unit end up on the District... must be Point #3 that's the problem :o

Here are a couple of links that list things to look for in selecting a troop:

From the U.S. Scouting Service Project -

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A GOOD TROOP

http://usscouts.org/cubscouts/goodtroop.html

Also in this forum there was a thread started by Bob White

Some Common Traits of Successful Troops

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=14781#id_14781

I wish I had seen these when selecting a Troop. I would have never selected the troop we originally joined. If I had these to compare programs I would have seen how poorly run the Troop we joined really was.

Having moved back to middle Tennessee last fall, this was not a hypothetical situation but reality for me and my son.

Many years ago, I made the unfortunate mistake of dropping out of the program as a Star scout following a move. My parents took a very laissez faire approach to most activities I participated in. If I said I wasn't interested, I was pretty much allowed quit/drop out. I did not want to see this happen to my son, and decided he would be allowed to select the new troop based on his own criteria.

We contacted the local council and got a list of all troops in the local area. We visited three different troops and even camped with one he decided not to join. His search lasted a couple of months before he finally decided. I'm glad to say it was his decision, and he is as active or more active with the new troop than he was with his previous unit.

That being said, if someone asked me what I would look for in selecting a troop, outdoor program, advancement program, and personality mesh would be at the top of my list.

Good points and references above in what to look for.

I'd like to add some thoughts on HOW to conduct the search.

As a scouter parent, I would visit a lot of troops that sounded like they had potential. This will hopefully mean visiting a few. When making these initial visits, I wouldn't take my son. Some might argue that he needs to make the choice and should be fully involved in the process, but it can be confusing and tiring to visit a number of troops.

Things to do when visiting:

1. Observe. Are they following the program? Who is running the show? What are their meetings like? Their camping program? You can gain a lot of insight from a troop calendar.

2. Listen. Stand off to the side and listen to the chatter between boys while doing activities. Do you hear helpful support (good spirit) or nasty little comments and ridicule (poor spirit). All troops have unique personalities - does this one sound like it will be compatible with your son? Do the same thing with adult leaders. They'll often try to pull you aside to give you the sales pitch, but that gets in the way of first-hand observations - you want to see what they're really doing, not just talking about. If you can't avoid the sales pitch and the troop seems interesting, go back next week and insist you just want to hang out and observe.

3. Ask questions. Lots of questions. But remember - you're not there to debate the methods of scouting, just seeking insight on how they use them (or not). If there's not enough time to get all your questions answered during the meeting, ask the SM if he or someone else would be available some time to chat some more.

After your fact-finding visits, compile your information and try to highlight what you see as the Pros and Cons of each troop. Then it's time to sit down and discuss it all with your son to come up with a list of troops he wants to visit. Then go and have some fun.

If the troop insists on boring your son by pulling him aside for a sales pitch during the first visit, go back again and just ask to be included in the normal activities.

I used this process when seeking troop for #2 son (who wasn't going to be joining #1 son's troop - long story). Although I personally had a favorite, I wouldn't tell him and we visited several. The first two or three were a bust. "Boring, dad." When we visited the next (my favorite, but his 3rd or 4th choice), they were clearly glad to see him, put him in a patrol for the meeting, and they were off and running - literally. As we got in the car, he says, "Dad - I am definitely joining this troop." We haven't looked back and are both having a ball. (Fortunately his troop meets on a different night than #1 son's.... Yes - I'm a little crazy. And tired. But it's worth every bit of the hassle.)

I wish I had used this approach with #1 son. I just let him transition from Webelos with all his buddies into a troop that I quickly learned had a host of problems. Within a year, almost all of his buddies had dropped out and my #1 son was soon to follow. We did some searching, found a good fit for him, and I convinced him to give it another try. There have been bumps along the way, but he's been active almost all the way, developed into a very respected leader, and finished up his Eagle (with 3 hrs to spare before turning 18).

One more thought - don't assume you can roll in to help them fix any problems you see so it will all eventually be better. They already have a program and processes in place and it's working to some extent or they wouldn't be there for you to visit. I've never known a troop (or any other organization) to really welcome someone coming in with lots of ideas about how they should be doing things better. It takes a lot of patience, time, and tact to bring about change. You just have to roll up your sleeves and get to work. If leadership training is an issue, you can volunteer to put together the next Troop JLT. If camping program is weak, you can volunteer to research some new places to go camping. Etc. In short, get involved and help make positive things happen. After you build up some respect with your own sweat in the game, they'll be more responsive to your other ideas.

Good luck!

-mike