When I was 32 or 33 and a Scoutmaster, I decided I wanted to do something at summercamp that would show that adults have to struggle to achieve things, just as do boys.

I settled on the camp's mile swim program, which involved several conditioning swims and then a chance to swim the mile and earn the mile swim patch. This was a patch that adults as well as Scouts could earn.

When I went down for the first day's practice swim, about 1/3 of the boys in the troop were right there beside me, choosing to do the same thing.

I completed the mile swim, and still sport the patch on my swim suit. Several Scouts completed it as well, and several weren't able to complete it ---that year, anyway.

That ability to lead by example is one of the definite advantages of having a young Scoutmaster.

Now, at age 55, I'm AMAZED at how much harder the ground has gotten in the past twenty years when sleeping in a tent! I had to give up running 2-3 years ago due to plantars fascitis and heel spurs. I have a shoulder injury which impairs my swimming and ability to swing an axe.

I'll be going to Camporee with the Troop this weekend, and plan to lead a four day bicycle camping trip in June, although the boys aren't ambitious bicyclers ---not yet anyway.

One thing I don't want to do is to limit what the Scouts do to fit what I can do. The Scoutmaster is in his late forties, and the Assistant Scoutmasters are older than he is.

So--- how should advancing age and physical limitations govern your participation in the Scouting outdoor program? Obviously, there are plenty of other ways to help support Scouting.

When is it time for a Scouter to bow out of the Scouting outdoor program?

And will that departure by the aging baby boomer generation create a hole that will be a problem for Scouting to fill?

Seattle Pioneer

I too have wondered about the aging out of our boomers. I'm also 55 and have probably done my last Philmont Trek. Next summer I'm taking the Troop to the Boundary Waters and am working to get in some sort of shape for it. A backpacking trip to Wyoming about did me in last year even though I passed my physical with flying colors. I have been trying to get an ASM to take over (He's 38) but no luck so far. I will say that there was a Scoutmaster before me and will be one when I am gone. I pnly hope it is true.

Baden

As it was posted by dancingfox once before:

"Old Scouters never die, they just take up other positions!"

1Hour

(The above information are only my own opinions. Please do not take them as guidances and/or teachings for I am not qualified to teach the exact the BSA's methodologies or guidelines, at least not on this forum!)

I think that this situation is going to be different for each person entering it. I'm 54. I've had a bad back since I was 20, but I've managed to run marathons, rock climb, play tennis, keep camping. It definitely gets more difficult each year. I'm done with tennis. Not running much anymore, BUT, my younger son is getting into rock climbing, so I've gotten back into it with him. My back barely survives 2 nights out on a campout; I've gone to 2 sleeping pads :)

I guess the answer to the question is that you keep doing it until you lose the enjoyment of it. That can be loss of desire or physical limitations. There's always things that need to be done to support the troop. I wonder myself how much longer I'll be able to camp and really enjoy it, but I'm not planning on stopping yet.

Regards the future. I've been a Scout leader in a pack and troop for about 8 years now, so I don't have the history that some here have. But, each year, I'm seeing it getting more difficult to get the parents to participate. I managed to "cultivate" a good group of parents in Cubs, and they came with me to the Troop that I'm the SM of now; that has helped a lot, but it continues to be a challenge. Add that to the continued availability of other activities, and to be honest, I don't see it getting any easier. Having said that, every time I think a trip is going to fall apart, somebody steps up to help out, so we manage.

I guess the answer to your question depends on what you think it means to "set the example" for the scouts.

If you think it means to show them how they should be able to do the skills of a teenager then I suppose you are required to stop being a scoutmaster as soon as you can no longer act as a teenager.

If you think it means to behave as the best person you can be at the age that you are, then I suppose that as long as you can set a good example as a person you can continue to be a good Scoutmaster.

Setting the skill examples as a scoutmaster is such a tiny part of what setting the example is all about that it would be a shame for anyone to be made to feel that if they can't keep up with a teenage boy that they have no value as a leader.

If simply being able to tie knots and ride a bike were the examples we had to set to be a scout leader we could train monkeys to do it. It's the example we set in our lives that make us valuable as scout leaders not our ability to be as physically active or as durable as a teenager.

"...I suppose you are required to stop being a scoutmaster as soon as you can no longer act as a teenager...."

In that case I think I can be a scoutmaster for a very very long time as I have often been voted the Troops oldest teenager ;)

OGE, I think I am in a similar predicament. In my 57th year, I'm still planning to be at the top of the South Sister as soon as McKenzie Pass opens this summer, approaching from the Obsidian Cliffs end of the Pacific Crest. And before that, I'm going to make a few passes at some good whitewater sections (Chattooga, French Broad, Ocoee), do a wild cave this weekend. Getting old sucks. But not as much as the alternative. I'll keep fighting as long as I can breathe.

And on those occasions that I can still outdo the senior patrol (I can still free dive to >50ft) I not only feel good about still being in the game, but also that the friendly competition puts us all on a level playing field and they are even more motivated. Now if I could just keep up with my daughter.

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

I'm 53 and while age is a factor, the bigger issue is that last year while backpacking with the troop I shattered my knee crossing a river. As a result I now have a plate, 6 screws and a lot less mobility which is compenstated for by more pain. This has caused me to re-think my scouting activities. The conclusions I have come to are:

I am no longer the pack mule on trips and am getting the weight down in my pack.

Three to 4 day backpacking trips are about the limit now and nothing too rugged.

I am focused more on the new scout patrol because they do more car camping type stuff.

I will be at scout camp and NYLT rather than the Boundary Waters this year unless they really need another adult.

I am also becoming more involved in district activities than I used to be.

I think it may be time to let the younger leaders take over although if the accident did not happen, I think I would have continued to do High Adventure type stuff for another few years.

Dylan Thomas notwithstanding, I am observing the trend that parents are opting to have children later in life. I just turned 50 and my own sons aged out and are now 27 and 23. My colleagues who have been with the troop for 11 years now are 53 and 49 and their sons have aged out, too. The moms and dads of the new Webelos who just joined are not much younger than us...some are older. My sister in law had her two children at age 40 and 40yrs 9 months...now she and her husband are near my age and still have two 4th graders. I am starting to see retirement on the horizon and am glad I have grown children who can fend for themselves now, and that high school and college are distant memories. I guess the point of this is that when I start looking around for a replacement, all I see are old people who have less energy and time than I do, and who are content to drop their kids off for the weekend so they can get a much needed rest. Don't get me wrong, they readily express their appreciation and say "I don't know why you keep doing this, but we are really glad you do!" Problem is, if their kids want to go to Philmont or high adventure, who will take them? Like someone else said, two nights on the ground now is about all my back can take, and that's only if I can plug in my CPAP machine!

I am 60 and had a hip replacement 5 years ago. I am also a retired Elem. Physical Education teacher and stays in good condition. I gave up the High Adventure with the older scouts several years ago. Now I do Low Adventure with the young scouts. They are a lot of fun.

We still go backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, into the wilderness in Northern Ontario, but very few miles in a day. Since I been around so long, I know where the good campsites, waterfalls, etc. are at, and where there are very few people. I am into giving them a good experience, so they will want more (with a younger leader the following year). Hopefully, I will be able to keep doing this for 10 or 20 more years!

Interesting story here,

Last weekend, May 6-7-8, I attended the Northeast Region Venture Quest at Camp Tuckahoe, Dillsburg, PA. As I was a presenter I brought along my extra long extension cord, video projector, computer and sound system as well as MY CPAP machine (the Crew calls it the de-snore-alizer)The cabin I was in only had electric outlets against the far wall from the bunks, but my extension cord made it with room to spare. I left the three way outlet adapter on the plug and set up my machine. Later that night, when I returned to the cabin after the cracker barrel, I got to my bunk and noticed the cord looked funny, it was glowing, then I felt a nudge, the guy in the next bunk over said he had a CPAP machine as well and didnt have a cord and saw I had an outlet open and did I mind him plugging in. I told him fine.

The next morning walking to breakfast, I was told by another resident of out cabin it was the quietest night he had ever had in a cabin with that many adults. he doesnt know how lucky he was!

There is a rumor (and I don't know if it is true or not) about a large local troop where the SM rarely camps with the troop. The have a large program with many ASM's who have specific roles in the troop. The SM runs the overall program while the ASM's run the various aspects of it. I don't know if it is age, work or health that "prevents" the SM from camping, but evidently it works for them.

SR540Beaver, that's a new one on me.

OGE, I especially enjoy all the CPAP machines (but I don't have one) because with a couple of those around me I can dream about Darth Vader or those 'Alien' face suckers. Think I'll go eat some lo mein now, I seem to suddenly be very hungry.