Our High Adventure crew will be in the Dallas area in June and will be stopping at the National Scout Museum in Irving. Has anyone been there? Was it worth the stop? How much time should be allotted for the visit? Any other comments? I visited the museum years ago when it was in Murray, KY, but not since it was moved. Thanks for the help!

DALE

I had a chance to go following a business trip to Dallas in Feb. I dragged a co-worker with me. We both enjoyed it. Its a good mix of displays and interactive stuff. We had fun with the bb guns and pinewood derby in the cub section, the trek in the venture section and oa jeopardy. We were there about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. its about $18 cab ride back to the airport.

Definitely worth a visit. I'd think two or three hours would give you adequate time to check it out. Don't forget to take your membership cards as registered members get a discount.

The new museum does not (or did not, when I visited a couple of years back)have the ropes course like Murray did, so no need to budget time for that.

I have visited the museum twice. Depending on if there is a special program that day, two to three hours will be plenty. (if the computer programs aren't working as on the day I took my son, 40 minutes may be too long.

The Rockwell exhibit is awesome.

BW

MAKE THE STOP. Our boys go about once a year. They love it. But make sure you don't go on a Sunday. On Sunday they are only open from 1-5 and it isn't enough time. Great interactive things to do.

I'll cast a dissenting vote. I live in the DFW area, and the museum is ... OK. If you're already in town, it's certainly worth a stop, but it's not an all-day affair. An hour or two should satisfy. I wouldn't change any travel plans for this or make it a destination. Sorry.

Ok you Texans -

In addition to the Scout Museum, we will have about 4 hours to spend in the Dallas Fort Worth area before our flight home. How would you recommend we spend our time? The Kennedy Site?

What else? Thanks for the help!

Dale

I'd say the museum needs a LOT more hands-on stuff. Scouts like to DO things, not look at things. Adults will appreciate the extensive collection of Norman Rockwell Scout art. Kids will look at them and go, "Huh. Cool pictures. What's next?"

The museum has the following activities available:

1. Shooting gallery - Good for 15-30 minutes

2. Pinewood Derby track - Good for 0-15 minutes

3. Interactive rafting video game (occasionally working) - Good for 15 minutes

4. Venture interactive "game - only for older Scouts - Good for 15 minutes.

5. Some knot-tying display - Good for 0-15 minutes.

Add it up, and you have about 1 hour of Scout activity, tops. Frankly, my Cubs spent almost as much time messing around in the Scout store as they did in the musuem.

I think it would be a great idea if the museum would invite 3-4 local Scout troops to come in on weekends and set up hands-on activities, like a mini-Scout show. They could rotate the troops, so it would be a once-a-year event for the troops. That could also generate return visits, to see what's happening this week.

Re: What to do in DFW

1. Yeah, you might as well see the grassy knoll. It's the #1 tourist attraction in town. Don't be surprised if your boys know nothing of it.

2. I'd vote for a Texas Stadium tour. You'll already be in the area, since it's not far from the Scout Museum. Tours are $10/person, and leave every hour on the hour. More info at dallascowboys.com.

DFW is a big place, and it's hard to get from A to B in a short time, so those two things would probably chew up your available time.

I always like to stop at the Bass Pro Shop just north of the DFW Airport entrance, then of course you drive the length of the grounds to the car rental return near the south entrance, I liked it better when they had two places to return cars