Public Posting of Scouts' Names/Photos

The public school where our Pack meets (which is also the school all our Cubs attend) has granted us the use of half a bulletin board in the school's cafeteria. We plan to use this space to drum up interest in the pack, since crossover hit us hard, and we're now below 20 Cubs.

We have some generic Scouting material up there right now. I'd like to get more items specific to our Pack and the boys in it. Specifically, I'd like to put up some pictures of the Scouts on outings, clean-up days, and the like. I'd also like to post the monthly advancement list of who did what, both to motivate current Cubs and get others interested in the advancement part of Scouting.

Are we bumping up against any Scouting regulations or privacy laws if we post this information in what is a semi-public place?

Hi Greg,

You are wise to consider these points. I'd offer the following suggestion. Post pictures and all kinds of promotional stuff about your kids, but not their full names. The school is not semi-public, it's public. Pictures of kids alone don't (IMHO) pose a threat, since it doesn't lead to any identification. Troop websites do that all the time. Probably doesn't do any harm to put first names on either: "Justin receives his whatever badge at the pack meeting."

I don't think there are any Scouting policies about this. There could be legal issues, but probably not, since the kids names probably can be found other places in the school as well. Other lawyers on the forum might have a different opinion. I am just always concerned about putting kids names out in public in a way that might lead a pedophile to track them down.

Kahuna

I too don't know of specific laws regarding this, but I would add that I would get written parental permission prior to putting up any pics. Our school has a local station that they call PAWZ tv. It has pics of kids and reminders of local happenings, anyway when we enroll every year we have to sign a permission slip and specify how much info ie. first name only or full name, that we want to appear on screen. This also covers newspaper and bulletin boards.

Just my 2 cents,

Carol

Right on Carol!!

Get Parents OK for any such stuff. Personally, I would rather my son's last name was used than his first. Those who would use such information to harm them want the familiarity of the first name.

I would recommend perhaps J. Smith as opposed to Johnny.

YOu have to have the parent or guardian's permission to publish a scouts picture. As long as you have that there are no real rules. My Kevin's picture was on the council website for three years from when he was a Cub and did Score-O.

I signed a release allowing them to use his picture.

I think it would be a great to have scouting activities on the bulletin board at school. Great recruiting tool.

I would ask your DE or Council Scout Executive for Council or BSA policies.

BSA INTERNET policies have some very firm guidelines about posting pictures of youth and associating names to pictures.

I think it's important to get the parents' permission also. I know when I sign a permission slip for my daughter Lori for Brownies, there's a spot to check yes or no if her picture can be published. I also agree with Torveaux, use 1st initial & last name, not the full name because there are too many whackos in the world. Good luck!

Judy