John Paul II and Scouting

I know that Scouts, Girl Scouts & Guides have played apart in many events with Pope John Paul. Based on his love of the outdoors and his commitment to youth I've been wondering if he was ever a Scout. A few quick searches turned up some interesting allusions but no direct connection.

One of his friends from his college years refers to "singing highland songs, camp songs, scout songs."

There are many hits that illustrate the inclusion of scouts in events like "World Yoth Day" gatherings for the last 10+ years.

and today it leapt to my ear as Wolfe Blitzer was interviuewing Colin Powell...

Powell recalled that during one of his audiences with Pope John Paul the pontiff teasingly asked several times if Colin was related to B-P. My Tiger Cub was competing for my attention so I missed anything else but it did prompt me to search "John Paul" & "Powell" instead of "Scouts" or "Scouting". It produced the following clip. I'd appreciate it if anone else who has stories would post them here as opposed to the original thread.

-Bob

I've included the first few paragraphs & the link.

http://ccs.ocbsa.org/popeonscouts.htm

Catholic Committee on Scouting

Diocese of Orange

POPE JOHN PAUL II - MESSAGE TO SCOUTING

Pope John Paul II spoke to Scouting's international officials in Oct. 1990. Parts of his address are included in the "Annex to the Catholic Scout Charter" approved by the Vatican in July 1992.

In line with the many instances in which my predecessors have praised the noble aims of your movement and its achievements on a world-wide scale since Lord Baden-Powell founded it just over 80 years ago, I assure you of my own personal appreciation of Scouting as a magnificent educational experience and form of social and religious commitment. I am happy to know that, today, over 16 million young people of all races, religions and cultures on every continent take part in Scouting. . . .

In . . . changing political and social circumstances . . . you are finding opportunities for a renewed presence of your organization in the countries of central and eastern Europe. You are also making notable progress in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, while Scouting continues to attract many young people in countries (where) it has been traditionally strong. I encourage you to continue to uphold the high ideals and challenging programs of personal development, friendship, brotherhood and service which make your movement so appealing to youth.