It's crossover time again. We're preparing for some new parent orientations that will be scheduled over the next few months. Do you do New Parent Orienations? What type of information do you cover in yours?

Here's the schedule we're working from

First Troop Meeting -

- Paperwork, paperwork... (adult & boy information, medical forms, etc.)

- Finances - Dues, fees, campout costs, summer camp costs, etc.

- Key upcoming dates

- "The first two months". Helping them understand what to expect over the next couple of months.

- Adult roles and where they can fit in (committee member, asm, etc.)

- Training every adult should have (YPT, Fast Start, etc.)

First Campout -

- Patrol method & boy leadership (to be done while the experienced scouts are out teaching basic scout skills to new scouts).

Future meeting -

- Advancement (BOR, ranks, signoffs, etc.)

- Merit badges (what they are, the process for working on them, etc)

We've also talked about offering some of the basic training courses during troop meetings over the next few months (fast start, YPT, Safe Swim/Safe Trip Afloat, etc.). I know of a troop around here that does that. Has anyone done this?

We just crossed over 16 scouts in the last month from two different packs, doubling the size of our troop. It's gonna be a challenge, but it sure will be interesting and exciting! We just did a parent's oritentation last week. The subjects covered were:

The differences in Cub Scout and Boy Scout programs and philosophies,

Troop Meetings, Committee meetings and jobs, uniforming, handbooks and resources, finances, medical info, patrol method, communications, program, camping, advancement, summer activities, Family Nights and COH's, Fund raising, discipline, parental involvement, and then have a Q & A session. Lots of info in a short period of time.

I remember when our son first went into a troop, and then we he moved to a different troop. I had plenty of questions, but I didn't know who to direct them to. How about a "who to call for ____" list as well as a phone list. Also, since Cubs and Scouts is so different, a brief summary of the goals of the troop might help parents out. I was recently asked to work up something for this troop for new parents, but I haven't begun it yet. The above two items are at the top of the list. I'd love to use your list too--it covers a lot.

Thx. We also have a parent's handbook that addresses a lot of the basics (aims & methods, differences in cub scouting & boy scouting, discipline, etc.). They already have that, but it is not specific around names, dates and costs.

Laurie - the idea about who to call is a good one. Trying to break the parents calling the SM for everything is a pain. We need to stress calling the PL or Troop Guide from the outset.

Keep those ideas coming.

How timely - Our troop trainer and I were just preparing for the same meeting! Now I have something to work from. We're also going to include a list of acronyms that we use all the time, but forget other newbies don't necessarily know what it means - PLC, JLT, etc. who it is, what it is, who its for. Its easy to get caught up in the program and forget that not everybody knows what its about. We made the mistake of recognizing one ASM at a court of honor recently for attending Woodbadge and mentioned that he's a good ol eagle too. Now we're seen as too "clique-ish" with "inside secrets/jokes".

In addition to the above mentioned topics, during new parent orientation I stress the difference between a cub pack and a boy-led troop. I tell them to expect some degree of disorganization, inefficiency, and chaos. I tell them that if we wanted to have a smoothly run meeting the adults would do it because we already know how. But that's not the point - the boys need to learn for themselves. I've discovered that this is a problem for a lot of adults, even after they've been in a troop for several years.

EagleIn Ky,

if you'd like, PM me with email address and I'll zip some troop documents we use for intros...

We start at the end of the crossover with a few sheets of info and a question answer session...we hand out applications to those we didn't already 'close' and give them the summer camp handouts. In many if not most cases we have the application the check and the summercamp deposit already out of the way before they come to their first Boy Scout Meeting...At that meeting we give out the permanent passwords for the troop web site (all of our troop info is there) and we handout more information, including the NSPs first shakedown campout! This Parent Meeting is run by one of the NSP-ASMs, with a brief appearance by the Scout Master(15-20 minutes)

and after the first parent meeting the SM emails a fairly long jargon letter (email dictionary)explaining to NEWBIES some of the 'secret mysteries' of the secret order of boy scouting... acronyms and the basics of the patrol method.

Many new parents go with us on the Shakedown...and for most of that camp the SM has them off playing "Patrol method" for the day...to keep them out of their sons hair...

I 'capped' the term 'newbies' 'cause last year, several months after this orientation flury (for 30 sets of new parents)...it came to light that several parents really took offense at being tagged 'newbies' (at least one family even left the troop cause we were closed minded elitists who had no time to listen to newbies)...where the Sm thought it was an 'endearing'little fun word, some felt offended...so walk softly with terminology...

We do not encourage new scout parents to call PLs...we have them call the ASM in charge of NSPs... or the parent can have the new scout call his guide with a question...but we found over the past several years, at least one parent each year will try to 'overpower' (intimidate?)the PL or the Guide if there is a 'difference of opinion' or misunderstanding as to the workings of the program...by calling the ASM ...we have a more level playing field... and less chance of misunderstandings.

YiS

anarchist