HIPAA and Scouting med forms

As I was sitting here filling out the med forms for Jamboree, Class 2 Med for camp, JLTC/NYLT, etc -

and after attempting to resolve a billing issue at one of my wife's screening exams - "sorry sir, we can't discuss that as you are not on her HIPAA authorization form" -

so.... how does the HIPAA effect all the Scouting forms running around the Troop, District, Council, Summer Camps, Jamboree, JLTC, and wherever else these med forms are required.

From my observations as a Committee Chair...

HIPPA (however it's made into an acronym) does not affect the Scout or the Scouter while the unit is using BSA health facilities (1st aid stations, camp clinics, health lodges).

HIPPA does not affect the Scout or Scouter in the routine collection of health forms. (BFO: The keeper of unit health forms needs to be someone who understands "need to know."

HIPPA does kick in when, during accident, injury or disease---> IF the Scout or Scouter has to be removed from the BSA health facility to a local or regional hospital for care. I've seen this part in action. We had a Scout whose genetic diseases got out of "the band", and he required stabilization in a hospital. Our SM was not on the "authorized access" list, and had to call home and get parents fully involved for permission for care.

That could be a big challenge if the unit is on a High Adventure hundreds of miles away from home.

I don't have an answer ... I think BSA needs to revisit not the exam portion of the health forms, but the access to information when a Scout or Scouter has to be evacuated from a BSA facility to a local hospital.

My thoughts only.

FYI -

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)

Summary Information Effective April 14, 2003,

Using, creating or sharing protected health information must comply with the new federal Privacy Rule under HIPAA. The HIPAA Privacy Rule provides a number of privacy standards for use, access and disclosure of health information.

I think we are clear on the med forms when they are handled by the person responsible. I would like guidance on the disclosure of protected health information (PHI) when the "need to know" doesn't exist until an incident occurs.

For example, a boy is taking meds (say Ritalin or Prozac) and is sent to summer camp. Do we tell the entire adult staff to be on the lookout for specific behavior that might be memorable. To tell them about this is to divulge PHI. To not tell ALL the adults about this exposes the child (and the adults) to unnecessary risks. As an adult, I would want to know about this kind of thing for the 15 minutes on wednesday afternoon that I might be the only adult nearby who can help this child.

I agree with the previous poster, it is something national should look into and revise the forms or give us more specific guidance.

YiS,

Mike

"and after attempting to resolve a billing issue at one of my wife's screening exams - "sorry sir, we can't discuss that as you are not on her HIPAA authorization form""

Who's name was on the bill? I always kid my wife on this, because often the bill is addressed to me. I've refrained from doing it, but I always feel like asking "You didn't have any problem billing me, but I can't ask a question about it? I guess I don't have to pay it then?"

The fun part comes when she gets reminder calls on appointments. If I pick up the phone, they will identify themselves as "Sue" and of course can't tell me what they are calling about. When I ask "Sue who", they will give me their last name. I always have to respond that we don't know anyone by that name and that we am not interested in whatever it is they are selling. Interestingly, though, they will leave a complete message on the voice mail. It's also funny, no one seems to have an issue telling my wife about my confirmation calls.

HIPPA is suppossed to protect you from people just giving out information to anyone who is asking or telling people things they don't need to know. Like telling your friend "hey I saw where Mr. X had a vasectomy, wonder how his wife got pregnant"

The difference with BSA is that you gave them the information. You can give your health info to anyone you want. Now BSA based on HIPPA cannot tell anyone else what you gave them unless they have a need to know. Troup leaders in another troop have no need to know. Guides on your trip have no need to know most of the info on the form. None of your business that I had a miscarraige etc...but if I am highly allergic to bee stings yes you need to know. Of course if I have a medical condition that could potentially affect the trip I should tell you for my own safety. Like I personnally have asthma so if I say I can't breath take it seriously as opposed to shes fat and out of shape(also true but....)

If you have a medical release form okaying the treatment of little johnnie while he is camping with you then the hospital should cooperate with you. They are just taking HIPPA to the extreme. If I give you permission to get my son treated then you need to know his medical condition past as well as whats happening now in order to give informed consent. Thats when the keeper of the forms gives you only his form for you to take to the hospital with you. No you can't take his appendix out it says on the form its already been removed. Or your telling me that his condition is getting worse. While you had hoped that just watching him and keeping him comfie would be enough, now due to his change in status you want to administer the antivenom. But you need my permission first. then by all means do so. Unfortunately HIPPA enforcement is still new and lots of hospitals etc... are over reacting.