Dual unit registrations

It's been my experience that some Scouts participate in more than one troop. This is particularly likely to happen if they're on camp staff, OA, or have a brother involved in a troop different than their own.

They can not, by the rules, be registered in more than one troop. However, remember, registration is in the Boy Scouts of America. It should be paid only in one place. If the main troop (the one to which the Scout has his registration paid) accepts advancement done while participating with another troop, it is acceptable.

In other words, when I was a Scout and the troop my friend Mark was in went on a campout, it was okay for me to go and do whatever advancement they did. It was up to my own troop to decide whether or not to accept it. However, I was not registered with both troops at the same time.

Clear as muck?

Unc.

Let us say that the Book says a Scout cannot dual register. His "extended" family situation makes it so that he lives in two different places throughout the year. I agree that communication between the leaders (SM's and CC's) could make it possible for the Scout to be a "visitor" in one of the two units and still obtain credit for camping and attendance while visiting. The leadership requirement might even be able to be worked out, depending on the length of stay. He could work out most of the advancement/requirements while being in two units, one being only a visitor. Communication would be the key to solving the issue. I would also want both D.E.'s to be informed and get their permission to make sure that all bases were covered.

The problem comes if the parents decided that the solution was dual registration and communication between the two units was not necessary. The SM's and CC's would not know what was happening and would be left in the dark about lack of attendance, lack of leadership, lack of advancement, yet the youth shows up with new badges. The lack of communication would create unnecessary problems. Even if the parents went to the individual units and told them what was happening but did not more, it would create problems. There needs to be a working solution where everyone agrees and is informed.

FB

Good discussion - thanks. One of my suggestions to our other leaders thinking on this one was that he register with the troop where he would regularly attend meetings and be permitted to be a "guest scout" on our outings when he is with dad on weekends. Would we and the boy all have to put some extra effort into this? Sure, but it's worth it.

Any advancement type activity done with us would be noted and that info forwarded to his home troop; leaving it to them to accept or not. I think a gentleman's (scouter's)agreement with his home troop regarding advancement activity while with us should be workable and reasonable. This would be a clean approach yet allow both the boy and his parents to benefit from the Scouting program.

Just as a final aside, I'd get Dad registered and trained ... he may well become a stalawart Scouter for the long haul ... and I know, full well, how good a fellowship the adult side of Scouting can be: Especially so for a man "single again."

John

I am in the process of trying to work out this problem right now with

my own son. We moved in Aug '04 and I still work at our old location and come home on the weekends. My son was active with the troop there

and I still go to the meetings during the week to help out (I am a registered ASM and UC), we rechartered with the old troop. He had been with most of the boys there since tiger cubs and has completed all but 1 MB and his project for eagle. The new troop is not as active as our old one (and a third as big). We would like for him to finish with his old troop and they are very cooperative with letting him do this and willing to work with us any way they can. So far the only trouble we are having is coordinating get his project approved. Approval is done at roundtable and he is not up there to present his to the advancement committee. The DC is working with the advancement chair to see if there is some way that we can get approval for this.