I would be interested in finding out others' views on when a tour permit must be resubmitted to council for approval.

Consider a hypothetical: You are the "tour leader" on an approved permit. Suddenly there are a number of changes to the plans. Under what circumstances must you get a new permit? Are there any national guidelines on this subject? The following non exhaustive list of possible changes are things I would like others' views on.

A change in date:

A change in destination:

A change in adult leadership named on the permit:

An increase in the number of participants:

A change in the drivers and vehicles to be used:

Your thoughts?

BSA is interested in avoiding problems when units go touring. Problems that lead to injured members, or lawsuits, or bad images presented to the public, among other things. The tour permit also gets the unit leadership to consider some aspects of the activity they may not have considered, such as whether drivers have insurance. A review of a units plans, through the tour permit, gives the council the opportunity head off problems that may develop.

A change in plans that may affect the approval should require a revised permit. A different destination, different activity, or different tour leader would all seem to call for a revised permit and new approval.

I agree with FS. We're sometimes juggling drivers up to the last second. And, depending upon the activity, a boy may suddenly be able to go at the last second. So, I don't think those warrant a new permit. If an adult on the permit changes, and they are the one certified for Safe Trip Afloat, then you should probably refile. I'm not sure I'd worry about it on an average campout. I would definitely refile if a date or destination changed.

If you know of a change ahead of time and the service center is open and you have a fax machine near at hand. I strongly suggest that you cover your tail.

If it is a last minute change and the service center is closed. It is not a hanging offense.I

don't see the need to call anyone at home.

Think of the worst possible case scenario - You testifying in a court??

We promise to do our best!!

Eamonn.

eisely,

Eamonn nailed that sucker on the head! (as usual)

Critical elements for most insurance coverages are dates, destination and activity. Minor changes...number of scouts /driver changes (as long as the driver has appropriate insurance etc) do not cause the heart to burn as do the other noted factoids. Major Players...CPR, Safety afloat, Life Guards, and Trek leader should all be noted in a "corrected" Tour Permit Application if if it occurs the morning you are leaving! The FAX is a perfect way to do that...most Councils routinely handle Tour Permits by FAX so it is better to cover your...er bases...that way.

Moving targets.....

Thats how it was explained to me. Your destination, date, and adult leadership should not be a moving target. Therefore these should be firm and not require that you update your TP before the trip. If one of those things does change you will have to update the TP.

Drivers, vehicles, number of participants are all moving targets. You should do your best in the original TP submission, but our Council allows these items to be updated after the trip has been completed.

I agree that if numbers change, don't worry about it, but if the destination, person in charge, date, etc. change, redo the permit.

On the same subject when is National going to put the Tour Permit form on the web in a format that can be filled out online? I have a version that another poster on here, that had the full Adobe software, created and sent me, but I know at some point they are going to change something and my version won't be any good anymore. Printing it and then filling it out by hand is so 1990ish.

Thanx for the input. The responses are consistent with my own views before I initiated the thread. I just wanted to find out if anybody had any different experiences or knowledge to share.

What kind of day is it?