Extreme Scouting Makeover

Every scouting unit needs a little nip and tuck here and there, now and then.

What 'makeover' would you like to see for your unit for the coming year?

For our troop, I think our Courts of Honor have become too adult driven (I am as guilty as anyone). I would like to see our COHs be completely scout planned and led (with guidance of course). I can't remember the last time we had a COH where at least a half dozen scouters didn't make a speech. I know our scouts can do it...we just haven't given them the opportunity.

Is a "make over" the same as "tweaking" ? :)

I'll confess that the Troop I serve has stalled in it's progress towards being a better boy lead troop. Last year we had a great SPL and made some really good progress. This year the SPL is not quite as strong or as organized as last year's and it's kind of taken a while for that realization to set in. It was easy last year, with such a great SPL. The adult leaders will have to start coaching our new SPL a little more, trying to be carefull not to start doing things he should be doing. It won't be easy because some of the newer adults see some of the disorganization and are ready to jump in.

SA

No 'tweaking' intended...more like new year's resolution to improve your program. Things you know you can do better, things you should be doing but haven't executed on, areas that need greater focus. I suppose I could have toned the title down a little...not looking to resurrect the recent program tweaking arguments here.

What I would love to see happen is that all leaders become focused on making the program fun the boys so that advancement would happen naturally rather than for advancement to come first and fun just to be fit into things if time allows. Wow, long sentence, huh?

One Scout Unit that I am assigned to needs the works. The SM is the SPL. He has his briefcase full of announcements and thinks that he knows how to capture the fancy of every Scout as he reads the announcements from behind his open briefcase. The meetings are filled with him talking and planning at the helm while the boys are doing their homework or talking to each other. One adult has a PC going full steam trying to organize the awards of each of the few Scouts and the other two adults are quietly talking to each other, so as to not disturb the SM/SPL. Everyone has been polite for the past few months while he gets his 'sea legs'. Hopefully, he will soon sight shore and return to the land of Scouting.

When this "problem" was spoken about in general at one Commissioner meeting, everyone in unison was quick to spell out that TRAINING was what was needed. I reminded them that the Woodbadge necklace was hung with care around each and every Scout leader in that unit. Since a pat answer didn't work and nobody wanted to pursue it any further, I guess I am lead to believe that Woodbadge training is the real problem.

Several in this forum have pointed out the 'horse being lead to water but you can't make him drink it' theory. I want to point out one possible problem with that belief. When Woodbadge, the highest training in the land, is presented, adults are dressed up in all of the leadership parts of a perfect unit. This is thought of as setting the example on how to best run a unit. The adults not only know their duties but they do them well and with the kind of joy that can only be found when adults are not bothered by other problems, such as, those found when boys of Scout age are around. Now, if the adult trainers don't perform with joy and with the best of abilities, it is understood that they will most likely not be asked to return for the next course. So, everyone has great reason to show their best form in how a unit should be run.

The adults that are in attendance are watching this perfectly run unit and learning. It might be that what they learn is how much fun that adult Scouting can be when Scouts are not around. They might also learn that if their unit is not run with all of the joy and perfect abilities like the WB unit, then they really are not doing Scouting.

Boys do not come to Scouting with joy and leadership skills and Scout skill abilities. They are taught these skills and then they perform those skills and joy comes forth from their performance. They can then teach those skills to others and they perform those skills independently while camping or at other events. It is a slow growth process and generally has the appearance of not being done well. Maybe Patience should be another skill taught in our training courses.

Just at few thoughts,

FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

This is fresh on my mind because I plan to present it to the committee in a couple of weeks.  As a young troop (closing on two years), our goals are still pretty basic.  We're trying to build boy leadership, increase the "fun factor" and maintain advancement levels.  The goals for 2005 include:

strengthening our SPL & PLs through coaching and support,

build more patrol spirit (too much focus at the troop level today),

focusing in on having more fun and worry less about everything being perfect,

make improvements to our first year scouter program,

training adult leaders (Committee training and MB counselor orientation are at the top of the list),

retooling how we handle actitivies (too much is put on me and the Activities chairman),

improving communications (the majority of issues that spring up during the year could have probably been handled with better communications).

Excellent posts from some quality scouters. Our goals are to adhere a little more closely to scout protocol, finally get our youth leaders trained (video is on the way), try to improve campout attendance with boys doing more planning (hope this helps, not sure), absorbing 8 new scouts into our first new scout patrol, try to get our failed venture crew going again. Another goal is to publish "guidelines" for older scout participation to stop this "show up 2 weeks before BOR

after a 3 month absence" business.

Speaking of making meetings "fun" we have tried several things. We have 2 hour meetings, all outdoors, (it never rains) , the first haour dedicated to patrol business, advancement etc, the second hour to a "fun feature" and finally a game. This fall we built canoes from plywood, got three done and started on a 4th. This formula seems to work well, the younger guys crank hard for the first hour lookin forward to "dessert", the fun part. Meeting outdoors we can build a fire, chop wood & raise hell without damaging property.

A couple parents asked about the canoes, wondering how that helped the boys advance etc. I told them it was our equivalent of a fund raiser. Our troop has all the money it needs from local oil companies, we just have to ask. Problem is spending it, we can't just go into a store and buy a tent, canoe , packs etc. So instead of peddling popcorn or such, we build equipment. Just a slightly off beat way to accomplish the goal of the boys earning their way.

Lets see, for the lodge (not really a unit), I just this past weekend had a retreat and a good amount of time was dedicated to that topic. (or topics like that)

As to my troop, well, lets see... it would be easier to list what should stay the same.

We have a good supporting CO, even thought they don't really get involved in operations. (closer relationship would be good, but not vital at this point)

Parents are supportive and involved. (They just need some direction, training, brainwashing, etc)

Financial situation is solid. (though it could always be better)

We have good equipment. (though some needs to be replaced soon)

We have some really great traditions and a very solid nearly 30 year history. (Unfortunately people mistake the troops past program with its current one, and then use the past success to justify the current straying from the program.)

Things that need to be seriously worked on:

Unlearning bad habits.

Training the current leaders.

Selecting quality leaders.

Recruiting quality leaders.

Training those recruited to be leaders.

Getting people to read the books instead of always asking someone or making up an answer.

Creating an annual program plan through the proper process.

Holding PLCs.

Reviving the patrols and using patrol method.

Recruiting new boys.

Have activities planned for new Scouts not just the experienced ones.

Stop using meetings as MB classes.

Start using meeting to teach Scout skills, plan activities, have fun, build patrols, and prepare for excursions.

Start having real BOR conducted by the committee members.

Define the difference between the committee and the mob of parents.

Start training youth leaders.

Let youth leaders do their jobs.

Let youth drive the car without causing a wreck. (Figuratively speaking only.)

Start making use of all 8 Methods to work towards the 3 Aims in hope of achieving the Mission and bring the Vission a step closer to reality.

The boys in our troop to take on the leadership role with vigor and conviction. Alright, just some leadership would be great!

For our committee to finish and follow through with our fundraiser so that we can replace our stolen trailer.

1Hour

SemperParatus, out of curiosity ... your pen name ... for the Coast Guard motto or Boy Scout motto? "always prepared"?

Our troop had a COH this week. As SM, I have had the PLC become more involved in planning and carrying out the COH than what was done in the past. We now have Scouts present to their peers, rank advancement. For example, if a Scout has earned a rank, the presentation is made by a Scout of that rank or higher.

Well after the meeting, I asked my oldest son (14 yr. old, Life Scout) if he thought it was better to have an adult or Scout presnet the rank awards. The boys seem to like doing the presentations (at least the presenters) but the recipients prefer that the awards are presented to them by the adults. I'll raise that at our next PLC.