I was an AOL and eventually a Tenderfoot who then chose hockey on weekends over camping.  My 7 yr old working on Wolf seems to be choosing the opposite so I have been helping with his Pack and am starting as Treasurer.

Our community (Youngstown, NY) seems to be newer to Cub Scouts but has a growing Pack, it is also a community with a big Junior Sailing program (my son also does) so I made the mistake (LOL) of starting a Raingutter Regatta this summer as I really enjoyed those in my youth.

I've been reading this forum for a little bit but finally decided to join.  I greatly enjoy reading some of the conversations about more obscure knots or patches or just things done very different than when I was a kid

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome @niagarafalls!

Scouting and Sports don't have to be a mutually exclusive (although I understand hockey to be a totally different animal).

Unlike youth sports, it's OK to take a break from Scouting for a full season. If the BSA is going to survive, it needs to be OK being every kid's second favorite activity. Missing a Cub Scout Pack or Den meeting is inconsequential, IMHO. Provide the parents with the rank requirements that were missed and ask them to complete them at home on a best-efforts basis.

It gets a little trickier in middle school and high school because a Scout may not advance as quickly as their peers, but if they are willing to communicate their availability with their SM/SPL and do extra work when their schedule permits, there's no reason why they still can't earn their Eagle Scout award before age 18 (even if they are only active 6 months per year).

Something like ~70% of kids drop out of youth sports before high school. I bet a fair amount of them would have made fine Scouts. We juggle Scouts and youth basketball in our household and, at some point, I expect my son to go all-in on basketball because most pre-teen boys have a natural inclination to compete, dress like their friends, and impress girls.

When that time comes, I don't mind paying for all of the camps and travel opportunities. My only conditions will be 1) he's got to be respectful to his coaches and peers, 2) he's got to let me know if it stops being fun, and 3) he's got to participate in Scouts or a second non-sport extracurricular when his schedule permits (to give himself options down the road).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/18/2024 at 7:43 AM, BetterWithCheddar said:

If the BSA is going to survive, it needs to be OK being every kid's second favorite activity.

YUP!!! I always say "If you make 'em choose, you gonna lose!" 

Do your sports and come to whatever meetings and outings you can. If you want an elected position...then it's a different conversation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3