I am looking for YPT clarification..

Before I start, here is some background information. My wife and I just moved military bases and immediately linked up with the cub scout pack on post. They're shorthanded due to few leaders being deployed, and the unit is mainly run by non-military spouses. My wife volunteered to run the Webelos den since it had no leadership at the time. She wants to schedule a tour and a nutrition class for the scouts, but it keeps getting shut down because the pack leadership says the non-scout affiliated trainer needs YPT. So here is my question, does guest trainers and instructors need YPT if the den has 2 deep leadership? These guests are giving a tour and classroom instruction and will not be alone with any child at any time. We are told by the pack that everyone needs YPT if they will be around scouts and that it's a change in the rules. 

Edited by Craftsman
bad grammar
2 hours ago, Craftsman said:

Before I start, here is some background information. My wife and I just moved military bases and immediately linked up with the cub scout pack on post. They're shorthanded due to few leaders being deployed, and the unit is mainly run by non-military spouses. My wife volunteered to run the Webelos den since it had no leadership at the time. She wants to schedule a tour and a nutrition class for the scouts, but it keeps getting shut down because the pack leadership says the non-scout affiliated trainer needs YPT. So here is my question, does guest trainers and instructors need YPT if the den has 2 deep leadership? These guests are giving a tour and classroom instruction and will not be alone with any child at any time. We are told by the pack that everyone needs YPT if they will be around scouts and that it's a change in the rules. 

Unless this is a requirement of your specific council OR your charter organization the answer is no, vendors or guest speakers do not need to be registered or YPT trained.

Here is a cut and paste from the current YPT FAQ on scouting.org:

A. No.  Youth Protection and supervision remains the responsibility of the unit and Scout leaders. Vendors and other third parties must be licensed businesses that carry proper liability insurance, units should be sure that they use reputable services.  Vendors such as museums, climbing guides, hiking guides, rafting services all fall into these categories. Unit leadership must ensure that all BSA policies and guidelines are followed when using these services, unit leaders must still have proper training.

Edited by MikeS72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Unless this is a requirement of your specific council OR your charter organization the answer is no, vendors or guest speakers do not need to be registered or YPT trained.

Here is a cut and paste from the current YPT FAQ on scouting.org:

A. No.  Youth Protection and supervision remains the responsibility of the unit and Scout leaders. Vendors and other third parties must be licensed businesses that carry proper liability insurance, units should be sure that they use reputable services.  Vendors such as museums, climbing guides, hiking guides, rafting services all fall into these categories. Unit leadership must ensure that all BSA policies and guidelines are followed when using these services, unit leaders must still have proper training.

Thanks! 

On 9/28/2023 at 3:04 PM, Craftsman said:

...it keeps getting shut down because the pack leadership says the non-scout affiliated trainer needs YPT...

Seems like that would be very prohibitive to a lot of part of the scout program that rely heavily on outside help. I think there's a Webelos adventure that also calls for meeting with a government official. And unless the mayor or a town council member is willing to sit through YPT, that won't work. Forget about visits from first responders, animal/reptile programs, teachers, etc.

That's not a thing, unless as mentioned your chartered org created such a rule.

12 hours ago, FireStone said:

Seems like that would be very prohibitive to a lot of part of the scout program that rely heavily on outside help. I think there's a Webelos adventure that also calls for meeting with a government official. And unless the mayor or a town council member is willing to sit through YPT, that won't work.

Our Webelos invited a councilperson to a pack meeting for this adventure last year. They did not complete YPT. 

We also invited city workers to give an outreach presentation about recycling. They also didn't do YPT.

Our council invites police officers to summer camp every year. Don't think they've done YPT, either.

All of these interactions are also incredibly public and one-off. The councilperson spoke from a stage, the workers also would have, and the police officers kind of did too. They couldn't find the scouts again even if they tried. The risk is incredibly low for these kinds of interactions with non-scouters. It makes sense to not need YPT for them.