The Magic-THE Best Moments of Being an Adult Leader

I saw a scout in tears attempting to re-enter his swamped canoe for his merit badge, half a dozen attempts, with the greatest camp-staffer-of-all-time watching patiently in another canoe, calmly encouraging the scout. The scout finally got the job done. It was painful to watch. But a milestone accomplishment in that Scout's life.

• Like 1

At a climbing silo, (a former grain silo now a technical climbing facility), a scout was looking down to rappel.  He was terrified. He fiddled around, looking down many times, clearly reluctant. He wanted to rappel but was afraid.  Maybe 10 minutes of hesitancy. I told him he did not need to rappel-it was OK not to.  (I don't like heights.)  He finally got up the mental gumption and did the rappel. Huge smiles all around. A huge milestone.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, InquisitiveScouter said:

After four hours of instruction and practice, a Scout (who happens to have cerebral palsy) who simply would not give up, ties a square knot on his own for the first time.

He grew 10 feet tall 😜, or at least, that's what it looked like through my tears.

Zack Gridley was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy when he was just one year old after suffering from a double brain bleed shortly after birth.

After years of developmental therapy Zack Gridley decided to join cub scouts in 2016. He's earned over 40 badges with Boy Scout Troop 55.

"I would highly recommend because you get to develop a bond with people in your troop," Zack said. "Everyone helped me through this journey, and I worked very hard," Zack added.

Zack's parents said though he received some accommodations on his journey, he mostly took on scout challenges on his own.

"He biked on a recumbent bike 15 miles at one of his outings, so you know for someone like him.... It's a big deal for any kid that age but for him especially to be that dedicated to go out and do that ride," Zack's Father, Brad Gridley

"It's very exciting to me because he's worked very hard, and he's embraced it all. I just feel like it's been a terrific thing for him to do. He's learned a lot of valuable life skills," Tammy Gridley said.

"Work hard and if you want to achieve something. You can do it. But it may take a little hard work to get there,' Zack said.

More at Source:

https://www.katv.com/news/local/defying-odds-boy-with-cerebral-palsy-paves-unique-path-to-becoming-an-eagle-scout-zack-gridley-tammy-troop-rank-bradley

Scout Salute.

Edited by RememberSchiff
added video
  • Like 3