National Medal for Outdoor Achievement being discontinued?

@Oscar, agreed. I have looked at making a custom medal and can probably do it on the CNC machine I have available. I can make a generic dangle from the award, but the biggest issue I have is finding a ribbon that would be at least similar. If anyone can find anything comparable, I'd be happy to start making a replacement medal.

Same with me. If you or anyone can find the ribbon, I'll put together a design. It will not feature the same dangle (that's a copyrighted design and I'm not going to violate it unless I have permission...I may make some designs in order to submit for approval later), but I'll come up with something appropriate...perhaps an owl

FWIW, due to the help of those in this group, I was able to present my son his National Outdoor Achievement Medal at National Jamboree with the whole family and many on national staff present...perhaps this will give them a light kick in the pants to fix this sooner rather than later  

Thanks @BQZip, my son spent 2 years working on this award, taking WFA, Outdoor Ethics, Staffing a summer camp, all good things, but to get to the end and being told the award is discontinued, tough luck is really frustrating.

8 minutes ago, BQZip said:

I was able to present my son his National Outdoor Achievement Medal at National Jamboree with the whole family and many on national staff present...perhaps this will give them a light kick in the pants to fix this sooner rather than later  

Congratulations on his achievement, and I hope National are listening.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:13 PM, Tron said:

You can go camping and not do any scoutcraft.

Yes, but as part of the first camping award, you have to have pioneering. So, imho, the award is well structured. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Yes, but as part of the first camping award, you have to have pioneering. So, imho, the award is well structured. 

Agree. A reminder that this is the National Medal for Outdoor Achievement. Doesn't mention Adventure (except within the Adventure segment, which you don't have to earn to get the medal)

The Mission Statement and Vision of Scouting are, IMO, kind of vague corporate meaningless blah that could equally apply to any youth organization. The meat of Scouting is in the Aims and Methods. So, does this award utilize the methods of Scouting to achieve the Mission?

Ideals - Essentially follow Scout Law, Promise, Motto and Slogan. This is a little abstract abstract, but this award has lots of service and conservation. Wilderness First Aid satisfies involves prepared and helping others. Leave No Trace Trainer requires being clean, helpful, being prepared (LNT #1)

Patrols - a little weaker, but you have to organize trips for your Troop/patrol

Outdoor Programs. Yep. Lots of that.

Advancement - huge. Have to get to FIrst Class, Have to get a gazzilion merit badges along the way. Plus WFA, LNT. And, though rather self-satisfying, it is a whole award structure in of itself.

Association with Adults. Organizing trips. Working a season of summer camp. WFA, LNT. You cannot get this medal without a whole lot of adult association.

Leadership Development: "Plan and lead, ..., an outing for your patrol, troop, .."

The only method that isn't directly involved is Uniform. Unless you argue that this aim is promoted through having to earn a gazzillion merit badges.

FWIW the award is still on the Scouts BSA landing page, very prominent:

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 2.27.34 PM.png

• Upvote 2

This is concerning.  My daughter planned her last year in Scouts BSA (she just turned 17) around the remaining requirements for this. She has it in her mind to close out her last year in Scouts BSA by earning this as a way to inspire the younger girls in her troop and other young girls in her council.   When she started in scouting this was one the things she said she wanted to achieve along with her eagle rank.  Then she forgot about then she really started to realize this was doable for her as long as she went out of her way for the Backpacking MB this year which she didn't otherwise need.  She already had 70 MBs and was happy to be done with them then realized, with that additional badge she could achieve this recognition and set it as an added fitness goal for herself as well.   She will be disappointed to not get the medal, but she will complete the award requirements regardless because that's just who she is.  How many other kids are out there working toward this and yet clueless that the recognition itself is no longer available.  I hope national is just tweaking this similar to the revisions for Hornaday Conservation award if they are making any changes.

@BrianT177 As was explained to me during an SCOUTS BSA ADVANCEMENT SPECIFIC TRAINING event I attended, the youth is not responsible for adult mistakes. This is such an example, BSA cannot prominently display awards on Award Central and Scoutbook and then not reward the youth when they go above and beyond achieving all these very difficult requirements. My son has worked on getting this award for two years, dedicating several weekends and $$$ to take LNT, WFA, organize outings for his troop, staff a summer camp, intentionally take certain MBs and now to be told, "sorry its been discontinued", that doesn't cut it. I will take this up with our council, if they can fashion custom patches, medals and trophies to hand out to adults for chummy recognitions then they can do the same to correctly reward a deserving youth.

• 5 weeks later...

This is not acceptable. The award is still up in the web site and appears available in the store. I serve as ASM and High Adventure Coordinator in two troops and we emphasize these awards. I have three Scouts who are currently working toward this award and it is outrageous that someone would pull the rug out on Scouts like this without warning.  Does anyone know who at National is behind this decision?  

For those considering making the award, I would be very interested to see what you come up with. I want to honor these Scouts’ accomplishment, even if the folks at National don’t care. 

I feel that the National Outdoor Awards and the National Medal of Outdoor Achievement represent an important extension of the core program.  The Scouts I know who are pursuing these are those who are excelling in the core program and are looking for a further challenge  I cannot imagine why anyone would want to discontinue this.

• Upvote 2

False alarm. I confirmed today that this award is NOT discontinued. The medals are available for purchase and National was called to be sure they are available. Confirmed- the National Medal of Outdoor Achievement is still available. 

(Apparently some medals were collected and destroyed and a new medal produced- but I cannot confirm this.). 

• Thanks 3
14 hours ago, DougJ said:

Apparently some medals were collected and destroyed and a new medal produced

I can confirm they were recalled by National.  Three different supply shop managers confirmed this.  And, you could not order one from scoutstuff.org until within the last few days.

The current picture posted at scoutstuff is the same as old medal...  except old medal stock number was 610646.  There is a new stock number now.

https://www.scoutshop.org/national-medal-for-outdoor-achievement-award-660210.html

Has anyone ordered one of the new, to see what change was made, if any?

If they did not make any changes, then it begs the question, why was it recalled, and unavailable for order for nigh on a year?

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...

Thread revival

I'm not seeing too much different with the new medal vs the old, but it IS now available.

National, if you're reading this, changes like these without explanation are what lead to confusion and speculation. Please be up-front about what you're doing and it will reduce this.

• Upvote 2