planning "Scouts Own" -- any help??

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a "Scouts' Own" service as part of (just before) our Blue N Gold in February.

I've been able to track down a model used by a Woodbadge Course (EC 462 W) in 1992; one from "Pine Tree Camp"; and another from "buckskin.org". I've been to P.R.A.Y. and NAPS websites. I've checked in with my Council, as well.

So, I have a good beginning but, of course, a thousand questions. Any helpful ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have ideas for "Cubbing-down" (no disrespect intended!!) what, so far, are "Boy Scoutish" materials - texts and songs?

Does anyone have resource suggestions I should check out?

It doesn't appear that clergy are necessarily involved, any thoughts? Should I invite respresentative clergy? Should I involve them?

It definitely needs to be non-denominational and diverse. Any texts that you'll include when you plan yours?

Any "thinks", I haven't thinked?

THANKS,

jd

You do need to know what sort of service you want to do. This will be determined by having some knowledge of who will be attending. If they are all Christian you might want to use readings from the Gospels. Where as if you have a mix you might want to go more for inspirational readings. From what you have posted it seems you have the diversity angle well in hand.

I have always tried to work within a theme. If possible try and get the boys to do as much as they can.

Baden Powell had a lot to say about Scouts' Own services here is one of the things that he said.

If a man cannot make his point to keen boys in ten minutes, he ought to be shot !"

Robert Baden-Powell

The Scouter, November 1928

The following link has a few things that might get your little gray cells working:

http://scoutdocs.ca/Documents/Scouts_Own.php

I hope you will forgive me if I retell my Scouts' Own story.

I had been asked to plan and organize the Cubs Own for a National Camp School for Day Camp Directors. I choose Peace as my theme. I had poems that children from all over the world had written about peace. We sang "Hes Got The Whole World In His Hand" I spoke about my involvement with a charity that brings kids from Northern Ireland over to the USA. I had hedged my bets I had two services. One short one, in case things weren't going well and a longer one if things were going well. I got under way and was soon into the fact that some kids thought that peace was just not being at war. There was one Lady who got very tearful, by the time I got to the poems she was crying. I thought I was doing a great job. In fact I was starting to think that I had missed my calling. The Saint Francis prayer which would have gone on hold if things weren't going well was now in. The Lady was now crying up a storm.

When it was all over, people were coming up to me thanking me and telling me that I had done a good job. Then the Lady who was crying came out I said that I hoped I hadn't upset her, she rushed away Kleenex in hand. Her pal who had been sitting next to her looked at me and said that I wasn't to worry, it wasn't anything that I had done but she had just found out that her cat had died!! So much for my calling.

Cub Scouts are great little fellows and I don't mean any disrespect when I say that KISMIF works all through the program even at Scouts / Cub Scouts own. The service is for the Cub Scouts not the adults. Keep it down to 20 minutes or so. There are a lot of nice books that are out there for kids. I do think the theme helps me a lot.

Eamonn

JD,

I have "The Big Book of Scout Worship Services" in a Word document. I got it off the web & use it for vespers at summer camp. If you like, PM me with your e-mail address & I will send it to you. It's not a big file and is a great resource.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Eamonn, Thanks - Knowing myself, the time limit comment was Terrific, and NECESSARY!!! ;) I still think everything has to be done in 40 minute periods!!

Ed, thanks! I've downloaded a copy but haven't had a chance to more than glance at it, yet.

jd