Need opinions concerning my scout being interviewed for school levy

Hello.  Need some opinions on the following.  My scout just started fundraising for his Eagle project.  His goal is to raise over $5k so that he (and troop) can assemble emergency lockdown buckets for every classroom in our city public schools.  The school is also trying to pass a tax levy this November.  There's a local group of volunteers that support the schools in various ways and are also supporting the Nov. levy.  Today someone in the volunteer group expressed interest in talking with my scout.  I don't have details about what would happen but I'm under the impression that this could be one of several interviews with students to highlight their achievements or making of a video highlighting students.  I can currently only assume that this interview or video would be used in some way to encourage voters to pass the levy.  My scout could certainly use the additional publicity for his project.  It just occurred to me that talking about his Eagle project on a video that is distributed citywide in the hopes to pass a levy could conflict with the BSA policy on politics.  What are your thoughts on this?

We can certainly contact our local council for further advice when more details are available but I thought I'd  see what all of you thought.  I'm thinking that even if he can't wear his uniform in the video, they would probably prefer school apparel anyway, shouldn't he be able to talk about his Eagle project?  He will definitely not make any statements about the levy, only statements about himself, his project and his school experiences.  Worst outcome, he just doesn't mention scouting or Eagle and it should be ok.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, thrifty said:

Hello.  Need some opinions on the following.  My scout just started fundraising for his Eagle project.  His goal is to raise over $5k so that he (and troop) can assemble emergency lockdown buckets for every classroom in our city public schools.  The school is also trying to pass a tax levy this November.  There's a local group of volunteers that support the schools in various ways and are also supporting the Nov. levy.  Today someone in the volunteer group expressed interest in talking with my scout.  I don't have details about what would happen but I'm under the impression that this could be one of several interviews with students to highlight their achievements or making of a video highlighting students.  I can currently only assume that this interview or video would be used in some way to encourage voters to pass the levy.  My scout could certainly use the additional publicity for his project.  It just occurred to me that talking about his Eagle project on a video that is distributed citywide in the hopes to pass a levy could conflict with the BSA policy on politics.  What are your thoughts on this?

We can certainly contact our local council for further advice when more details are available but I thought I'd  see what all of you thought.  I'm thinking that even if he can't wear his uniform in the video, they would probably prefer school apparel anyway, shouldn't he be able to talk about his Eagle project?  He will definitely not make any statements about the levy, only statements about himself, his project and his school experiences.  Worst outcome, he just doesn't mention scouting or Eagle and it should be ok.  Thanks.

Interesting situation you find yourself in.

If a video goes out about your son and his work in Scouting that in turn is used to help lobby to pass a tax levy, I am fairly certain that the council Scout Executive would have liked to have known first.  I'd send your DIstrict Executive and District Chair a note so that they can consult with the Scout Executive and see if they'd like to give you any guidance.

However, I would not stop a discussion first.  There is nothing wrong with a leader in local politics talking with a Scout about their experiences.  You just need to watch out that your Scout's image and that of the BSA isn't used to lobby for the levy without being in consultation with the Scout Executive.

13 minutes ago, thrifty said:

I can currently only assume that this interview or video would be used in some way to encourage voters to pass the levy.

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope, nope. Nope.

Uniformed unit members and leaders may participate in flag ceremonies at political events and may lead the Pledge of Allegiance; however, they should retire after the ceremony and not remain on the speakers’ platform or in a conspicuous location where attendees or viewers could construe their presence as an endorsement or symbol of support. In addition, photos of candidates or Scouts in uniform or with BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind.

Volunteers and professionals must be alert to situations that would imply BSA favoritism for one candidate over another. Strict observance of our longstanding policy against the active participation of uniformed Scouts and leaders in political events is mandatory.

And

RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Policy Concerning Political Questions

The Boy Scouts of America must not, through its governing body or through any of its officers, chartered councils, Scouters, or members, involve Scouting in political matters. However, this must not be interpreted to prevent the teaching of ideals of patriotism and good citizenship as required to fulfill the Boy Scouts of America’s purpose. Faith-based teachings incorporated into the Scouting program by religious chartered organizations in a manner consistent with the Bylaws are not considered political matters. This policy does not prohibit the Boy Scouts of America from expressing its opinion upon matters of governmental concern when considered in its best interest by the governing body of the Boy Scouts of America.

This policy does not limit the freedom of thought or action of any Scouter or member as an individual in a manner not directly or indirectly implying a connection to Scouting.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1