Found this on the Salt Lake Tribune web site.

I have been wondering about the amount of traing the boy has had and what rank that he is at.

They found his sock Tuesday.

The sock's location, about three-quarters of a mile from where Bardsley was last seen, confirmed for Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds that the boy had followed a predictable course - downhill and toward the highest peak in the immediate area- after leaving his father.

The sock was spotted on a steep ravine in an area marked by an outcropping of boulders and small caves, suggesting Bardsley relied upon training he received weeks earlier at a Scout camp, where he earned a merit badge for wilderness survival skills.

"It seems likely that he would have attempted to find shelter and that was the place to find it," said Edmunds, who noted that the boy reportedly had been excited about the training and even told his mother what he would do if he were to become lost.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=115631

Sock May Not Have Been Garrett's

Aug. 26, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY (AP / KSL News) -- Search and rescue crews hope to find a missing 12-year-old Boy Scout in the Uinta Mountains after finding what appeared to be the boys sock near where he was last seen.

There is some question as to whether the sock found Tuesday evening actually belonged to missing Boy Scout Garrett Bardsley.

Authorities are now trying to compare the sock with others.

Sheriff Dave Edmunds: Initially when we found the sock we were very pleased, because we thought it was definitely Garretts sock, and his mom was very sure it was. It still might be Garretts sock. We had a called from one of the people up here searching earlier. They indicated that they had taken some socks off, and it might have been one of theirs. We are now in the process of trying to determine whether or not it was Garretts sock or not.

Trained personnel today will focus their search on a boulder field and nearby areas where they found the sock Tuesday. Summit County deputies say the sock was found about a half-mile away from where he was last seen on Friday.

Garrett vanished after he went back to camp to change his clothes that got wet while he was fishing with his father.

Investigators remain hopeful, but say there's little chance that Garrett is still alive. They say he may have taken shelter from bad weather, where he may have succumbed to the elements.

Search dogs are being flown in again today to aid in the search.

Weather has been a factor. It has been raining most of the day.

(The Associated Press contributed to this story)

mmhardy

The Boy Scout Manual does have a program to teach

1. Buddy system

2. Utilize

S stay put

T take a breath and relax

O observe your surroundings

P plan how to get help and BE PREPARED to

from the begining

3. I outfit all our boys with a signal whistle

check to make sure they have it as part of

trip prep.

I won't say this wouldn't happen to our group but the lads should be prepared if the buddies do get lost toghether.

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_2399811

Article Last Updated: 08/27/2004 02:49:26 AM

'Active search' for Scout to end Sunday

Smaller crew: The boy's father thanks those who turned out Thursday

By Matthew D. LaPlante

The Salt Lake Tribune

PASS LAKE, Uinta Mountains - A smaller number of searchers was mustered as dawn broke over the rugged horizon, but Kevin Bardsley's appreciation was not diminished.

"Thank you for coming out here," Bardsley said as he took the hand of each person who arrived to help in the search for his 12-year-old son.

Garrett Bardsley of Elk Ridge disappeared the morning of Aug. 20 after leaving his father's side during a Boy Scout camping trip to the Cuberant Lake Basin in eastern Summit County. Officials do not believe the boy could have survived this long in weather that has been wet, cold and windy. Garrett reportedly was wearing only a black sweatshirt, red sweatpants, socks and shoes when he disappeared, and had no provisions.

So far, Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds said, there has been no sign of the missing boy. A sock thought to have belonged to him that was found Monday evening may in fact have belonged to a searcher, he said Thursday.

"We're about 50-50 on that," Edmunds said. "Either way, it's not a bad thing. We've completely covered the area where it was found, so now we can cross that off our list."

Search officials hope to eliminate many more areas - and

recover Garrett's body - before Sunday. Barring significant developments in the case, that will be the final day in which Summit County officials will coordinate an "active search" for the Scout, Edmunds said.

Meanwhile, searchers continue to scour what Summit County Deputy Jim Snyder called "very hazardous terrain."

Kevin Bardsley was again at search headquarters - about 2 1/2 miles southeast of the spot where he last saw his son - as the searchers returned Wednesday afternoon and evening. Again, he expressed heartfelt appreciation. Family members say they have been overwhelmed by the amount of effort being put forth by total strangers.

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_2399308 Article Last Updated: 08/25/2004 02:24:35 AM Scouts defend trek safety Leaders say mishaps are rare exceptions By Matthew D. Laplante The Salt Lake Tribune Searchers on horseback, start their search near Pass Lake just off the Mirror Lake HIghway into the Culberant Lake Basin looking for Garrett Bardsley who has been missing since Friday morning. The area is dotted with small lakes and thick timber. The weather Tuesday morning was cold and rainy and optimism of finding him alive is gone. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune) Kristoffer Jones fell to his death from a cliff at Zion National Park. Garrett Bardsley is presumed dead after disappearing in the Uinta Mountains. The tragedies, occurring only weeks apart, took place during organized Boy Scout excursions. Both have focused attention on the preparation and supervision of Scouting activities and on whether policies set up to protect Scouts need to be re-examined. Scout executives say they already have rules in place that, if followed, would have kept the boys safe. Those policies "may be emphasized" in future training of Scouts and leaders, the executives say. "In each case someone chose to break a Scout policy they were trained in," said Darryl Alder, field director for the Utah National Parks Council, which oversaw the trips on which Jones died and Bardsley became lost. Alder also referred to a July incident in which 13-year-old William Dunn was separated from his troop during a trek through the Uintas and hiked alone for three days before he was found. In that case, Dunn was wrongly allowed to fall behind the group without a partner or designated meeting place, Alder says. Jones, a 14-year-old California boy invited to participate in the Zion excursion, was accompanied by other Scouts who were reportedly off the trail when he fell about 1,000 feet from Angels Landing. Witnesses said the boys were well ahead of the rest of the group, including their Scout leader, when Jones fell. Alder declined to speak about what specific policies were broken when Jones fell, saying he has not seen the results of an investigation still underway by the Washington County Sheriff's Office. "I think it's clear in that case, though, that if our policies were closely adhered to, the boy would be with us still," he said. Alder choked up several times as he spoke of Bardsley, 12, who left his father's side while fishing in a Cuberant Lake Basin pond on Friday and disappeared. Cuberant Lake is about 3 miles northwest of Mirror Lake, at about 10,000 feet elevation and in extremely rugged terrain. Though noting that the Boy Scouts would have difficulty enforcing rules over parents supervising their own children, Alder says Bardsley should not have been allowed to go anywhere by himself not even the 150 yards between the pond where he was fishing and the site where he was camping. "We teach the boys to always hike in pairs," he said. Bardsley - who recently returned from a weeklong organized Scout camp where he earned the wilderness survival merit badge - should have known that rule, Alder said. Bardsley reportedly had no provisions with him when he left his father, who was among eight adults supervising 18 boys on the trip. Alder said all Scouts should be equipped with the "10 essentials" of hiking: a map, compass, flashlight, food, extra clothing, sunglasses, first-aid supplies, a pocket knife, matches and kindling. "Most of those things can be carried in a creel or fanny pack," he said. "I've never camped or backpacked without that with me in a pack that I can run with and take anywhere." But no amount of policy making can prevent every possible outcome, Alder said. "We're helping shape character, citizenship and fitness in these youth. The risk in outdoor camping accentuates that," he said. "It's the thing that draws the kids in." Despite the inherent risks, statistics show that Scouting is a relatively safe activity, said council spokesman John Gailey. He figures Utah Scouts spent more than 560,000 nights camping last year - a year in which there was only one incident in which a foursome of boys became lost. The boys were backtracking their steps when they were found two days later. In the past five years, a total of 13 Scouts have become lost. And all were found alive and well, Gailey said. Alder is not sure why things seem to have gotten worse this season. "It's been a tough year."

Maybe it's past time for states like Utah to follow Maine's lead, and make guide, and or trek leader training manditory for the back country...

Or, better yet, for BSA to revamp their NCS Trek Leader training to a month long course with full certification as a guide...I know for a fact, that I one that I went to, was fairly weak and lacking....

I'd like to make a suggestion for an on-line team approach to identifying possible locations this boy may have used for shelter. From what I've read, people instinctually search for some sort of shelter from the weather, and those shelters actually hinder rescuers from finding them.

In another lost person recently, an on-line forum was developed where individuals reviewed topographical maps, and suggested possible search locations to teams on the field.

I think this could be a particularly useful methodology given the training the scout had received. Those of you here on this forum are probably better versed than the individuals searching for him on the types of locations he may have chosen for shelter. So, it is possible tht if you were given an on-line map of the location he went missing from, and the local vicinity (topographical) you may be able to make suggestions as to places he'd have headed. If we can locate someone in the search team, or his parents, we can forward this information on to the searh team on the ground.

It seems that for those people on the field, who've seen others go missing in this area, that enough time has lapsed that they feel it is futile to continue. I believe, that with added information to specifiy good potential "targets", we could encourage a handful to do more checking in those specific locations identified.

I'd appreciate any/all thoughts on this.

ACB

I am very sadden by this. When I was scout we were told to stay put and hug a tree if we got lost. I pray for the boy out there in the mountains. May our Hevenly Father be with him and return him to his family safely. I also pray for his family and his friends.

I am also praying for the volunteers in the help on this serch I pray that the boy will be found. As a scout leader also I make sure my boys are equipt with items they need before each campout and hiking adventure. We go over the rules of camping before we set out. One the buddy system is always in effect. I know when we are anywhere we keep an eye on each other. we have three leaders one in the front of the troop, one in the middle, and one in the rear.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=116243

Official Search for Missing Scout Ends

Aug. 29, 2004

Sam Penrod reporting The search has ended for a missing boy scout in the Uintas, after nothing was found Sunday. Garrett Bardsley disappeared August 20 and is believed to have died after getting lost near Mirror Lake. It's been a very tough and discouraging day at the search site. Over the last ten days, it's been a grueling situation for Garrett's family, along with the searchers who've tried their best to find him. As the sun began to set Sunday night, hundreds of volunteers left discouraged, knowing the official search for Garrett Bardsley is over. Steve Wilson/ Volunteer: "Very frustrating. Why? Because we can't find him. That's our number one goal, and we can't find him." Sheriff Dave Edmunds/ Summit County Sheriff's Office: "We want to extend our condolences to the family. We feel horrible that we didn't find him. But we are going to continue looking." Over the last ten days, searchers have spent thousands and thousands of man hours covering more than 40 square miles. Sheriff Edmunds: "We've covered a lot of ground and that's very positive because now we know where he's not at. When we continue with the limited searches we'll know where we've already been." Over the last ten days, helicopters, airplanes, and search dogs along with hundreds of people hiking all over the area have searched for Garrett, without any success. There are two theories about why he has not been found. One, he may have kept walking, well beyond the search area. Or, the more likely scenario is that he took shelter in a secluded area of rocks, where he perished from the harsh conditions. Garrett's family plans to regroup and continue with their own day searches in the area, a couple of days a week, while the weather permits. The sheriff supports the family's ongoing efforts, but cautions volunteers to be careful themselves. Sheriff Edmunds: "Never be alone. Always have provisional supplies, and if you get lost, stay in one spot." If we have seen anything encouraging the last ten days, it has been the huge response from volunteers, including trained search and rescue teams, the majority of which are unpaid volunteers. Sadly though, there is still no closure for Garrett's family.

Something is a miss here. After looking for the boy for 10 tens day they still can't find him? There has to be another factor such as an abduction, suicide or bear. I know 12 year olds can do dumb things, but he is a BOYscout and if his dad is scoutmaster and the unit elected to go wilderness camping, then the boy is not COMPLETELY inexperienced. For us to consider that he walked for miles upon miles and then descended a cliff or similar event just doesn't add up. I suspect external factors played a big role in the boys demise.

I am none-the-less extremely saddened by this.

The Seven Steps to Survival

These steps were developed in Alaska by the combined efforts of fishermen, the coast guard, and the Alaska state troopers. They have been proven to work and they are used in current survival training. Although they may be designed in Alaska but the steps should work well in any climate worldwide.

1. Recognition, The very first thing you must do is come to the idea that all is not well and not likely to improve on its own. "Houston, we have a problem" A line from one of the greatest survival stories ever. "Don't tempt fate when she has already indicated she is in a bad mood." Not so famous but it drives the point well.

2. Inventory, What do you have and how can you use it? Keep a open mind. Remember Apollo 13 when they had to make a carbon dioxide scrubber from the command module fit into the lunar module and they took what they had at hand to make it work? In the movie step one was to use the cover from the SOP ;-)

3. Shelter, This can be as simple as good clothing or as complex as creating an emergency shelter. Shelter's made from scratch take longer to build than most people think. Bear in mind that a shelter made from natural materials in most cases could be hard to see at a distance.

4. Signals, Again they can be simple or complex. But the best signals stand out from the background. You want your signals to visually scream LOOK AT ME!!! Did you notice the plurals? The searchers will.

5. Water, Most of you know the need. 1 quart per day at a bare minimum, more in hot weather.

6. Food, without good water, food is just about useless. Your body requires water to process the food you eat.

7. Play, Surprised to see the word play here? Many people are. The idea is to keep your mind busy, nothing in a survival situation is worse than sitting around worrying. Improve your shelter, create more signals, get more water, food, or break out that deck of cards, anyone out there not know that joke? ;)

With our troop we will try to dedicate at least one hour per campout to some part of survival training hopefully more than a little will stick.

The thoughts and prayers of the scouts and leaders of Troop 21 Juneau Alaska are with the family

Phillip Martin?

aka AK-Eagle