Swimming definitely should be required. Options for some of the physical sports (skiing, cycling, etc.) Badges is fine. Hiking should also be required. Shouldn't every Eagle be wearing "50-milers"? Probably even two - afoot and afloat.

I like the idea of Scout History and/or Traditional Scouting. For Cub camp this year, our boys spent some time on a ropes course. They called it Pioneering, but there wasn't a single good knot or lash to be seen. Every thing was clamp tightened. Random ropes strewn all over the ground, etc. If you're not gonna find skills properly demonstrated at camp then it's definitely time to take a few steps back toward tradition. I believe in using tools and machines to accomplish what we used to do by hand, but it was a ROPES course at a SCOUT camp, for cryin out loud!

I'll admit the hiking MB requirements are fairly rigourous. I'm not familiar with the requirements for biking.

However, the idea that the Emergency Preparedness MB is equivalent in difficulty as Lifesaving MB is ridiculous. I wonder what percentage of Eagle candidates get the Emergency Preparedness MB instead of the Lifesaving MB.

SA

I've always liked the idea of teaching Scouts sewing. I'd take it a step further, though. Why not include all of the "home ec" skills - Sewing, Cooking (indoors, because it is different), washing and ironing, cleaning, nutrition. We have these guys for 7 years. I've always thought it ashame that we don't take the oppurtunity to teach young men life skills they will need as older young men. Let's face it - A well run household will almost always require that a man do as much of the household chores as a woman does in these times. We aught to be taking the lead in this. I've even written national about this, without response.

As to the Lifesaving vs Emergency Preparedness, we've had 11 Eagles in my Troop since I got involved. The only boy who did not earn Lifesaving transfered from manother Troop with Emergency Preparedness. I'm with sctldr. Swimming needs to be mandatory unless a certain handicap exists, and I think Lifesaving should be in almost the same category.

Mark

sctlder, had I been in your troop, your stats would now be wrong. I am not a swimmer. I have no DESIRE to swim therefore I dont. Does that mean I should never make Eagle b/c I dont WANT to get in the water and I dont WANT to earn Lifesaving??!!!

NO!!

That is why they are options along with hiking, cycling, and Emergency Preparedness.

I dont want to be a lifeguard, but I do want to be an EMT. Lifesaving really isnt going to help me in that way, now is it? Emergency Preparedness will to some degree.

isn't a key point of lifesaving about not necessarily swimming? reach-throw-row- and only then if that fails go?

scouting is about being physically fit, not about swimming.

more kids bike more regularly than go swimming. more kids walk places than go swim. how many adults exercise by swimming compared to those that jog or bike at the gym? scouting is about life skills, not swimming skills. the ability to be fit.

oh, and those that think swimming is hard, hiking is often harder for many scouts. I've seen kids pass swimming easier than easily go on a five mile hike. swimming is a skill for safety moreso than its a skill for fitness

Just three years ago I got both emergency preparedness and lifesaving not because I needed them both, but because I saw them as both being skills that would be useful. I allways see the activities of scouting as having a twofold purpose. Not only are they a uesful skill in their own right, but they help to support the overall goal of the scouting program. Like being prepared to help.

Lifesaving barely scratches the surface of what lifeguarding entails. BSA lifeguard is much more in depth, and is much more demanding. Lifesaving is so whoever has the badge is prepared to assist with unexpected emergencies around the water. To be truely competent as a lifeguard where you can expect to use lifesaving skills the lifesaving merit badge falls a little short. It is never the less an important skill, not just an "introduction to" merit badge like some are, and I feel that if somebody is capable of taking it they probably should.

There are a lot of badges that are eagle required that some people think are pointless, or too hard to get. Physical fitness catches a lot of people, and so does Environmental Science. These aren't things that a boy is likely to make a career out of later on, but they are both skills that everybody should probably be exposed to at some point.