There's some great ideas to get you off and running here!! But don't just be satisfied with short term success. Keeping those volunteers coming back and continuing to encourage new volunteers can be a struggle, too. We've taken the approach that informed parents feel connected and connected parents participate. At the end of each Den meeting, our boys take home a short newsletter that explains what activities we did, what achievements we worked on, and how that can be supported/extended at home. The initial setup (MS Works)was a bit time consuming but once the format is established these one pagers seem to write themselves. Parents love knowing what goes on and what to expect; and the boys use the newsletter to help explain/share all the fun they're having!

F.B.'s hint of the day:

For Cubs, hot glue an envelope in the back of their book. I generally use a page size envelope with a string to close it around a button. I punch a hole in the middle for a quick look to see if something is in it. Near the end of the meeting, everyone is given the news letter and it goes directly into the "mailbox". It helps to get the news home.

I don't use this method to get parents involved. It is just for information purposes.

I like the idea about actually recruiting volunteers instead of just asking for them. About two years ago, we had some upset parents because certain things weren't happening in the troop. When I got brought to task before the troop committee, I told them I was doing about six jobs in the troop at the time and I needed help. The only one who would step forward to be an ASM was probably the last dad I wanted to do so. He has been a pain at times, but with the help of our unit commissioner, we managed to find a role for him that would minimize his weaknesses and play up to his strengths.

Since then, when I've wanted something done, I went and asked people one on one. Even if they didn't take on the position I wanted, they became more active and we now have very good adult help (still a little shy in the ASM department).

One sure way not to get what you want is to say nothing.

At times we can be our own worst enemies. We tell everyone our tales of woe and how over worked we are. People hear this and while they might want to give us a pat on the back. They sure as heck don't want to join us.

We need to know what we are looking for and be honest. We all laugh about the one hour a week but we do need to let people know what they are letting themselves in for.

The number of meetings that I have attended where the Leader has got up and made a plea for help or said we need your help is a vast number. Sad to say the people who step up is not. One on one is great, but two on one is better. A pal of mine tells me how when two church members came and asked him to be ASM in the troop, that he felt that if it was important enough for two guys to come to him it was important enough for him to do it. That was some time back. He is now our Council Commissioner.

Eamonn.

Here is nothing new but topped off with an extra dash of Chippewa and given a twist. (sorry - it's late)

Plan the most adventuresome activity that you and the PLC can come up with. One that you cannot do alone - not possible. Then ask a parent to help as it is in danger of coming undone and that they have the skill/enthusiasm/organisation that is needed to get the activity done.

Has worked for me.

I went all out until it was help or bust. I asked particular people and after a few 'helpings' I got four ASM's and a few other certain volunteers. That is way above the norm (here). Now my next 'crisis' is....our fourth Patrol. Need another ASM or it cannot be done. Now which parent do I target this time? Second choice would be...?

So get you PLC on fire. What parent can say no to an enthusiastic and going places bunch with a haggard and bleary eyed adult trying to get their child overseas, or up a high mountain, etc etc?

Just back from vacation, so I want to jump back to the original post.

I don't have a problem "requiring" that every family contribute to the operation of the unit. The devil, of course, is in the details. A hard-and-fast "you go camping twice a year or your kid gets the boot" rule won't work for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Such a requirement (actually I would rather call it a very strong exectation) needs to be tempered with a very reasonable enforcement policy. As has been noted, there are lots of reasons some families can't volunteer: family situation, health issues, etc. "Really busy at work" only works for so long with me, unless a family is in really dire financial straits. Everyone is really busy these days.

Ultimately, however, the issue goes back to the basics of recruiting volunteers. You've got to ask a specific person to do a specific job. It's just as we teach the boys in first aid, don't just yell "somebody call 911", you have to grab someone by the collar, look them in the eye and tell that person to go call for help. Recruiting volunteers is the same. During that one-on-one conversation, I wouldn't be afraid to mention in a positive way the unit's "requirement" that every family pitch in and that it's time for the person to step up to the plate.

We have a family that's been involved since Tiger Cubs (going on 7 years now). The son attends regularly, serves in position and is always there to help. Dad has been generally a no-show. But his mom has been very involved from the beginning. She's been troop treasurer, serves actively on the committee, participates in BOR, helps with fund raisers and other occasions. But yet, they (the parents) have never ever camped with us.

This morning I got a call. Dave (the dad) wants to go camping. He's never done this with us before, what does he need to know? I about fell out of my chair. This is great. I'm looking forward to having him along. Who knows, he may love it and keep coming back out with us.

If we had a hard and fast "you must go camping twice a year" rule, we would have lost them a long time ago. I'm certainly glad we didn't.