Religious Emblem Counselor Training

While the number of 100+ sounds like a large amount, it really isn't. That number includes youth receiving 2-5 different emblems and adult receiving 1-3 emblems (depending on if BSA, GSUSA, and Camp Fire are all included).

Also, consider that this is for youth from across the entire Archdiocese. In the case of the Archdiocese of Chicago that means 1,411 sq miles, 375 Parishes, and 2,442,000 people.

If the Protestant churches in the area had a similar ceremony (don't know if they do or not) I am sure that the numbers would be similar.

As far as the Catholic emblem is concerned every parish should have on staff someone who can serve as a qualified facilitator, such as the priest, youth minister, etc. Our archdiocese requires a facilitator to have a degree in religion or theology so they can give a candidate a competent understanding of their faith. As was already mentioned this is an award given by the Church not the BSA so each bishop decides the policy in his diocese. The Catholic Committee on Scouting in your area can give you local policy.

I checked with Seattle Archdiocese Chair for Scouting (appointed by the archbishop) on the rule for this diocese. He is a longtime friend in scouting and we have worked on many scouting activities together. Here is his reply to the comment above:

The part about the award being given by the church and that each Bishop can set the policy in his Diocese is correct. With that in mind the conditions (requiring a degree in religion or theology) could apply in a particular diocese, but that is not national policy and I have never seen it that restricted. The statement "so they can give a candidate a competent understanding of their faith" sounds more like a requirement for religious education instructors rather than adults working with the Scout Emblem program. The emblem program is aimed at faith development not faith instruction. It is supposed to reinforce and complement the religious education programs of the parish, not replace them or compete with them.

NW Scouter has it right in the eyes of the National Catholic Committee on Scoutong. At least that was my understanding from the course at Philmont 2 yrs ago.

Check w/ the diocese & if they don't have an active committee find someone from the unit / parish to become involved. Then lead by example.

Someone must have a hook for "training", however that is defined by you diocese, and then invite other units to join you in making the program available. Remember, I suggested recruiting someone who will take this on... no one of your units essential personnel!

Bob

NW Scouter

Read the facilitators manual for Pope Pius XII the requirements are there. Specifically every facilitator must be pre-approved by the bishop or his delegate. It is not to be done by a troop/crew leader or be part of a units meeting time. I know Archbishop Brunett of Seattle and he has told me firsthand he wants the youths priest to be a central part of the process. While a degree is not mandatory for a facilitator, my bishop and Archbishop Brunett strongly recommend it. Remember the BSA has no direct rules regarding these awards because they are not Scout Awards. The facilitators are supposed to be trained by their respective churches not by the district scouting volunteers. If you guys want to argue go ahead but my information comes directly from two bishops. In other parts of the country the bishop determines, creates policy and handles the process either directly or he appoints a Scout Chaplain (a priest) as his rep.

The reply above is from the man that Archbishop Burnett appointed the head of the Catholic Program on Scouting in the Seattle Archdiocese. What I was checking on was the statement Our archdiocese requires a facilitator to have a degree in religion or theology. The head in Seattle says it isnt a requirement there.

I agree for all the religious program the person overseeing them needs to be appointed by the church sponsoring it. Also that a unit should not be the ones presenting or running the instruction class.

To get back on track with Grumpy's question -

Yes, having the next training coming up in 03/05 does seem kind of late to me. It would be after this Scouting year's Scout Sunday and thus be of no help to boys who want to receive their Emblem's this year. Unfortunately, for areas that only do training once a year, you might be stuck.

I would double check with your Archdiocese Catholic Committee on Scouting. It could be that the training in March is the only one in your area, but there might be others in other areas of the Archdiocese sooner. You should also ask if you can take the training in a different Archdiocese. If you are close enough, or don't mind traveling, that might be an option. Also, if you can get together a large enough group of people who wanted to take the training, you might be able to encourage your Archdiocese to add another date.

Here in Chicago, they have not yet set our training dates for the 2004-2005 year. They should be out sometime in September. Also, as I said above, our Pastor does meet with the boys once they have completed their work, but our counselors and facilitators here do not have to have a degree in religion or theology. They simply need the will to be of service.

Good luck !