Adult supervision on Webelos Campout

Scoutdad, although the version you are looking at says "2003" I believe there is a newer version in which the paragraph in question has been rewritten to what ASM59 has quoted. The version on the BSA web site matches ASM59's quote. They seem to have replaced the "requirement" that each Webelos be accompanied by his or her parent or guardian, to a "preference" that each Webelos be accompanied by his or her parent or guardian. In the absence of a parent or guardian, the boy can "be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult."In effect it expresses a preference that the parents of

Ack, I hit the button too soon, and I can't edit posts. Here is what it is supposed to say:

Scoutdad, although the version you are looking at says "2003" I believe there is a newer version in which the paragraph in question has been rewritten to what ASM59 has quoted. The version on the BSA web site matches ASM59's quote. They seem to have replaced the "requirement" that each Webelos be accompanied by his or her parent or guardian, to a "preference" that each Webelos be accompanied by his or her parent or guardian. In the absence of a parent or guardian, the boy can "be under the supervision of a parent approved adult." (I think for clarity that last phrase should be read as "parent-approved adult," in other words an adult approved by one of the boy's parents.) I think that because of the way it is worded, people are assuming that an adult can supervise both their own son(s) and someone else's son(s) at the same time, but there is a logical ratio somewhere that should not be exceeded. I know I have read in the past that there should be a maximum 2:1 (boy to adult) ratio for Webelos camping but I don't see it in the current G2SS.

Also understand there is a difference between Pack, Webelos den or family camping and Webelos Resident Camp. Webelos CAN attend WRC without a parent under the supervision of their den leaders. I belive they must meet a minimum ratio of one adult to five Scouts (but I'm not positive about that number.)

The difference is that WRC is run by camp school certified directors and must meet a long list of nationally mandated requirements. Pack, den or family camping does not need to meet these requirements.

Beaver: your web site says, "sessions are camp sessions for Cub and Webelos Scouts, registered parents and registered Leaders only."

What is a "registered parent"? I don't really understand. It seems to be saying that day trippers or other guests aren't allowed. Of course I understand the bit about sibblings.

Twocub,

Your rguess is as good as mine. Tiger Cub parents are "partners". But it isn't open to Tigers. Perhaps they mean a parent who is a registered BSA leader wit ha Troop, Venture Crew, at large, etc., but not with their son's Pack. Beat's me.