Scouts Make $$ Auctioning Elk Antlers

I got to see this in action in 2005.  This is a great win for everyone.  How cool it would be to run the refuge and gather antlers.  So much for popcorn.  This district has the right way to go about getting funded with a renewable source each year.  In addition to elk antlers, there are a lot of other things available to find.  There are skeletal parts from winter kills, deer antlers, and all kinds of things to keep scouts bug eyed.  I applaud the refuge directors and scouts in getting this continued.  If only more districts and councils could do things similar. 

One council that comes to mind that could do this is the "last frontier" council in Oklahoma.  They have the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in their backyard.  It has elk and buffalo.  Visitors are not allowed to remove anything from the refuge, but I've seen buffalo and elk skeletons near some of the hiking paths.  They have a free range longhorn cattle herd that is pretty big too.  If scouts worked a deal with the refuge to gather items like in Jackson, it may benefit both organizations. 

I could also see scouts in Michigan and the northwest working with the DNR for salmon run processing each year.  Michigan DNR used to filet salmon if you donated the eggs.  I would pay a fee for them and scouts to filet salmon.    

• 4 years later...

Nov, 2023: 

"...A total of 164 registered bidders participated, which yielded a total of $218,382, thus setting the world record for the World's largest elk antler auction, according to the WORLD RECORD ACADEMY.

Elk Antler Auction by the Numbers
  • 1968: Year the auction began
  • 8,000: Average pounds of antler that are offered for auction annually by the Jackson District Boy Scouts.
  • 13,698: The record total poundage of antlers collected, set in 2014.
  • $17: Average price per pound of antler
  • 2,000: Amount of hours the roughly 200 scouts and adult leaders spend collecting elk antlers, cleaning them, organizing them and generally preparing the dropped sheds.
  • 75: The percentage of proceeds from the auction that is donated by the Boy Scouts to be used for long-term habitat improvement projects at the National Elk Refuge; the other 25% goes towards funding the Boy Scouts’ Friends of Scouting dues. "

(Source: Jackson Hole Traveler)

More info and photos at source:

https://www.worldrecordacademy.org/2023/11/worlds-largest-elk-antler-auction-world-record-in-jackson-hole-wyoming-423539

Edited by RememberSchiff