Hey,

Our District covers a large geographic area and it takes some folks an hour and a half to drive to roundtable. So, roundtable is not that well attended. Other than having two roundtables, do y'all have any ideas to get people involved? I'm trying to think of ways that are "out of the box" that might appeal to some of the younger folks.

bd

Have a quarterly physical Roundtable, meeting and greeting. The rest of the time, have a set schedule of training sessions. Everyone logs into the server and at the same time calls in on the phone. You can set up with the phone company a large dial-in conference call. Set your agenda and then questions can be sent via online messaging or from the telephone. On the server you can use powerpoints and video clips. It can be done.

I can foresee a newsletter that is called The Roundtable. It has all of the elements of the regular meeting with extra variations of some of the events. It could be cut up by meeting parts and filed in the Troop library for useful ideas.

It could even have an article of things said in the parking lot after the meeting.

It would be sent out to everyone in the district. It could also advertise some the upcoming specials for the next Roundtable.

If you have one more person that could tape the Roundtable, it could later be edited and sent to people that would rather watch than read.

The live Roundtable still needs to be even better than the written one.

FB

When you consider the two purposes of roundtable It seems to me that hands on activity and face to face contact is essential to meeting those goals. Perhaps the most difficult but most effective solution is that if the participants can't come to Rountable, that Roundtable go to the participants.

Two ways to do that would be to either have one Roundtable staff present the program in multiple locations in the District, or have multiple Roundtable staffs following a similar agenda in different locations in the District.

I am not sure that you can effectively deliver a remote control Rountable then you could a remote control troop meeting.

After serving rural units by way of Roundtables for a few years, I believe that a creative Commissioner Service is in order. I wrote the manual on this one for our Commissioner College. It is a challenge and a joy. Some of our most unique people came from these far flung areas.

FB