Hi,

Just clicked on the Headlines section at the top of the Scouter banner and read an article about a Scout troop running a fireworks stand as a fundraiser. Isn't that taboo, or just the possession of fireworks?

BD

Straight from G2SS:

Fireworks

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the securing, use, and display of fireworks in conjunction with programs and activities except where the fireworks display is conducted under the auspices of a certified or licensed fireworks control expert.

Local councils may not authorize any group or chartered unit activity for or on behalf of its members, units, or district to sell fireworks as a fund-raising or money-earning activity.

A scout unit may not sell fireworks. I think both of the articles show units that are in violation. While I dont believe that the BSA can or would stop the local Eagles from selling fireworks for its youth activities it would ask them not to specifically say that it is for the Boy Scout Troop. One seems the unit is selling and the other makes a big deal of its scouting support.

The selling of fireworks ban is only about 15 years old; it is a liability issue. The BSA doesnt want to br lible for injuries resulting from fireworks purchase from a Boy Scout stand. These two groups seem to be putting the BSA at risk.

I would agree with dan. It seems like the family is selling the fireworks & donating them to the Troop. What we don't know is are they selling them under the auspice the profits go to a BSA Troop? If so, I would say the Troop accepting the $$$ is in violation of the G2SS just as if they were selling them.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Big Dog,

If the Scouts themselves are not selling or promoting the fireworks sale then neither the G2SS or the Unit Money Earning policies are being violated.

If the family or company selling the fireworks are making a donation to the Scouts, then that is no problem either.

Where there might be a problem is if they are using the name or images of Scouting to advertise the sale. That would be a violation of the BSA's trademark rights, unless they have secured permission from the local council or the national office of the BSA.

Just by saying to a customer that "proceeds will be donated to the Scouts" is using the reputation and name of the BSA to sell the product, and would require the seller to secure permission from the BSA.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Scout units are not to solicit donations, but I am not aware of any rules that do not allow them to accept donations.

If the donor wants those donations to be tax deductible they will need to direct them to a 501-3c organization such as the council, and some but not all chartering organizations.

"Just by saying to a customer that "proceeds will be donated to the Scouts" is using the reputation and name of the BSA to sell the product, and would require the seller to secure permission from the BSA."

I don't know if I agree with the above. Now, certainly, if family members are either registered Scouts or Scouters, yes the BSA has some recourse. If not, the only recourse the BSA has is not to accept the money. As long as the sellers are not claiming endorsement by the BSA, no harm, no foul IMO.

This reminds me of the lottery winner who donated a portion of his winnings to his church. The church had a very strong stance against gambling and considered lottery participation as gambling (duh!). Therefore, many did not want to accept the donation. Ethical decisions are not always black and white. The BSA did not seem to have many qualms acquiring Florida Sea Base.

Now, what's this about Scout Units not accepting donations? Our unit participates in the Trail's End popcorn fundraiser (officially sanctioned by the BSA) and sell in full uniform. We always have on our table, a donation jar for those who want to donate money but not buy product. It was my understanding that this was perfectly acceptable.

Our unit has also done bottle drives (filing the appropriate paperwork with the council). When conducting the drive, we do not wear our uniforms but participants are made aware that it is a unit fundraiser for a BSA troop. I consider the bottles/cans that we receive donations because no real service is provided. I'm not aware that this violates any BSA guidelines.(This message has been edited by acco40)

A scout unit may not take money without an exchange of product or services of a reasonable value and quality. You can sell Scout Popcorn but you may not ask for donations. You can have a carwash for a price set by the customer, but they recieve the car wash in return so it is not actually a donation, it is a purchase.

Read the restrictions on the Unit Money earning Form that a unit must file with the council for any fund raising activity they do.

"A scout unit may not take money without an exchange of product or services of a reasonable value and quality. You can sell Scout Popcorn but you may not ask for donations. You can have a carwash for a price set by the customer, but they receive the car wash in return so it is not actually a donation, it is a purchase."

So based on this if a private individual donates $1,000 to my unit I can't accept it because my unit didn't provide a service for that funds received? That'll make the donater happy!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I certainly agree that we should be encouraging scouts to "earn" money to pay for the program. My question is: How do we disallow Units from soliciting donations, when the FOS program is doing exactly that.

CE

The Council solicits and accepts donations through Friends of Scouting and other avenues as a legitimate 501-3c organization, with the proceeds benefiting the entire Council not just a single unit. There is no comparison.

When the council raises money using the name and image of the Boy Scouts of America the resources raised benefits all scouts.

For a unit to ask for donations for "scouting" but then keeping those resources only their unit, is improper.

The BSA does allow chartered organizations under specific conditions to raise money for their scout unit while using the BSA name and image. Those conditions are found on the Unit Money Earning Application. They include that a unit cannot solicit donations, but must exchange goods or services of a reasonable value for the donation. It also restricts units from using the name and images of the Boy Scouts of America to advertise, promote or sell a commercial name-brand product.

This information is readily available through numerous resources of the BSA and shared in leader training. As is an explanation of how units and council raise funds.